General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Glove Report

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 12:05 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Heated Glove Report

There have been several threads recently on heated gloves. Thought I would do a report on my latest find.

Background: I have had a full set of Gerbing heated gear (gloves, jacket liner, pants liner) for several years. The gloves are the T5’s. As I’ve aged (I’m now 69) my hands have become more sensitive to cold. I found that the Gerbing gloves just didn’t get warm enough. I ordered a pair of FirstGear Carbon heated gloves and they were the same. Both were fine down to the high 30’s but anything colder and I ended up with cold hands.

Looking for warmer gloves, I sent emails to several companies asking if they had gloves that ran warmer. One of the companies I found was Gordon’s Heated Clothing. Turns out that Gordon Gerbing started a new company around July of this year after having to give up The Gerbing Company that we all know due to health problems. Gordon Gerbing was the first person to develop heated clothing for motorcycle riders and is the father of the motorcycle heated gear industry.

Anyway, I received a reply to my email from JoAnne Gerbing, http://gordonsheated.com/heated_gloves.html# stating they believed their gloves were the warmest in the industry. They partner with Churchill gloves, a local, 100% US company and use their Maverick riders glove http://jrcglove.com/product/CGTW.html as the starting point. These are great, deerskin gloves. She also said they could make a special order for me and make them even warmer than normal.

I then contacted her by phone and talked about my requirements. Their normal gloves ohm out around 10.5 ohms. I checked my Gerbing and FirstGear gloves and they ohm out at 10.9 and 10.8 respectively. The lower the resistance, the warmer the glove. JoAnne said they would make mine to ohm out lower. They made the gloves for me in one day and shipped them priority mail. From my first conversation with her to the time I had the gloves was three days. The Gordon's gloves ohm out at 10.0. I went for a ride yesterday morning. 28 degrees when I left, 31 degrees when I got home. Rode 140 miles. The gloves were great. Never had cold hands.

So, in a nutshell, great US made product from a company that provides outstanding service. Doesn't get much better than that.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:12 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks for the review. ill check them out.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:45 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,628 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Good review. Was there any upcharge for doing a custom order?

Old 01-02-2015, 02:06 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Those look very interesting. Thanks for the link!

Old 01-02-2015, 02:12 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Awesome write up and great info. They look very nice!

Old 01-02-2015, 02:13 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

For those of you with more heated gear experience than I, are the prices reasonable?

Old 01-02-2015, 02:21 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Good review. Was there any upcharge for doing a custom order?
No upcharge.

It's interesting that the gloves direct from Churchill, without heat, are $150. So, for an extra $50, Gordons adds the heat and gives you the battery connector and the wiring for the gloves. Not needed if you already have heated gear hookup and a jacket liner. I would also make sure you have a controller if you get them made hotter. I could run my Gerbings direct off the battery but these gloves would get to warm without the controller. At 28 degrees I never had the controller turned up above 3/4s.

Last edited by FXDXTSport; 01-11-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:41 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
For those of you with more heated gear experience than I, are the prices reasonable?
They're a little more than average. G3s (which I have) are $170. But, I'm not sure where they are made now. And as the OP stated, they don't get hot - just warm. Unless you have some serious wind blocking i.e. a fairing, they aren't warm enough in my experience. And even at that, below 32 degrees my pinky gets a bit cool. They're not bad, but not toasty either. Also, the G3 gauntlet is not very big. The reviewed gloves look like they have more gauntlet, which would be nice.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:23 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info, thanks for taking the time to share.

I ordered the First Gear heated liners, paid around $70 for them. They fit snug and I had no problem fitting them into several other pairs of gloves. They plug into the liner and have a separate controller. No problems keeping hands warm down to 35, haven't tried them in colder temps yet.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:59 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the review. I'm happy with my T5's but will consider them next time I'm in the market. Do they have to be wired into the bike or can you get them with batteries like the T5's?

Quick Reply: Heated Glove Report