General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the gaskets on my rear rocker box. Torque wrench question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 01:55 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts
Default Replacing the gaskets on my rear rocker box. Torque wrench question.

So I'm replacing the top and bottom rocker box gaskets on the rear cylinder of my Sporty. I already have the top box off. Of course I staggered the bolt removal and did it a 1/4 turn each.

I'm using a rocker box thin Allen wrench to help with removal so it'll fit. The issue I'm going to have is when I tighten the left rear bolt down. The slim wrench has a square slot to fit the (in/lb) torque wrench on. It's 3" from the bolt. I will insert the torque wrench at a 90* angle to the slim wrench. My question is; Will I have to adjust the torque value to compensate for the head of the torque wrench being 3" down from the rocker bolt?

Yes, initially I will do the proper procedure and turn the bolts a 1/4 turn in a staggered pattern. It's just when I want to set the final torque values I, obviously, want all four corners to be exactly the same.

So will using the torque wrench effect the torque values? If so, how do I compensate?

Thanks.

Last edited by baka1969; 01-03-2015 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:38 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

You'll find several websites that can help with the necessary calculations - do a search on "torque wrench adapter formula."
~

Old 01-03-2015, 07:01 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,142 Likes on 1,507 Posts

If you put your extension on the drive end of the torque wrench at a 90 degree angle...it does not affect accuracy of the torque wrench, it's reading, and the click happening at the right point of being satisfied.

If you put the extension on at any other position other than 90 degrees (right angle)....you will have to refer to a chart (plenty of them out there on the 'net, often torque wrenches come with ones too).

If you don't believe that...just torque down all 4 using the extension..that way all 4 are still equal.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:36 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
If you put your extension on the drive end of the torque wrench at a 90 degree angle...it does not affect accuracy of the torque wrench, it's reading, and the click happening at the right point of being satisfied.

If you put the extension on at any other position other than 90 degrees (right angle)....you will have to refer to a chart (plenty of them out there on the 'net, often torque wrenches come with ones too).

If you don't believe that...just torque down all 4 using the extension..that way all 4 are still equal.
Stonecat is 100% correct!

Old 01-03-2015, 12:44 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

That small a torque value your good to go with that configuration , won't be any changes

Old 01-03-2015, 03:55 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Got it done. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:08 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,682 Likes on 1,469 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
So I'm replacing the top and bottom rocker box gaskets on the rear cylinder of my Sporty. I already have the top box off. Of course I staggered the bolt removal and did it a 1/4 turn each.

I'm using a rocker box thin Allen wrench to help with removal so it'll fit. The issue I'm going to have is when I tighten the left rear bolt down. The slim wrench has a square slot to fit the (in/lb) torque wrench on. It's 3" from the bolt. I will insert the torque wrench at a 90* angle to the slim wrench. My question is; Will I have to adjust the torque value to compensate for the head of the torque wrench being 3" down from the rocker bolt?

Yes, initially I will do the proper procedure and turn the bolts a 1/4 turn in a staggered pattern. It's just when I want to set the final torque values I, obviously, want all four corners to be exactly the same.

So will using the torque wrench effect the torque values? If so, how do I compensate?

Thanks.

What is this "slim wrench" you speak of? Pics? Where did you get it? Thanks

Old 01-03-2015, 06:00 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pothole914
What is this "slim wrench" you speak of? Pics? Where did you get it? Thanks
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GU1P9E

I actually ended up using a ball ended allen socket. It worked better. But, you can't have too many tools.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:11 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I used this with the torque wrench.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...e-request.html

Old 01-03-2015, 06:30 PM
NO PCKL
Road Warrior
Received 491 Likes on 270 Posts

Had the same problem when I rebuilt the cam chest on mine. I did the calibrated wrist thing with a box end wrench.......been doing it for years on all kinds of hard to reach bolts and never had a problem. Tighten them all down to close, torque the ones you can reach, put a wrench on one that's torqued, and feel how tight it is (calibrate your wrist). Then "torque" the hard to reach one/ones to the right "feel". Really not that big a deal on covers.

Quick Reply: Replacing the gaskets on my rear rocker box. Torque wrench question.