General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 MM EFI FLHP, no start (need some help)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 02:20 PM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1999 MM EFI FLHP, no start (need some help)

Bro-n-law's '99 Road King died on the road, and won't start now. Cranks strong, but no start. Bike is a TC88 with Magnetti Marelli EFI, and was running fine until he came to a red light - bike sputtered, then it died. Past few weeks it's been showing a stored DTC 56 "crank/cam sensor signal error" but was running fine despite the stored code. There are no new codes since the bike died, still showing just the DTC56.

We put a new fuel pump in the bike a couple years back, and a new crank sensor. I don't think there's a cam sensor in the bike. I can hear the fuel pump come on & pressure up with the ignition. I pulled & cleaned the head of the crank sensor -it looked fine. I cleaned the crank sensor plug connections with brake cleaner. I pulled the plugs & checked for spark - plenty good spark at each plug. The plugs themselves look fine, no oil, no soot, and not running hot/lean. Still no start.

One thing I noticed while cranking & looking for spark at the plugs, was no gas smell. I'm thinking with the engine cranking & the plugs out we should smell gas, but no.

I don't think both injectors would die at the same time. Maybe they're not getting a signal to squirt? Any chance the Screaming Eagle fuel tuner/map thing crapped out?

Any & all advice much appreciated.

JR

Last edited by JR-Boston; 01-08-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:17 PM
PKS98S
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you not unplug the SE tuner and plug back into the ECM to by-pass the tuner and see if it starts to eliminate it as the problem? I had a similar issue/symptoms with my 99 Ultra and it was a bad start relay - I'm not sure where it would be on this bike (it was behind the fairing on my Ultra). Also not sure if there is a tip-over sensor on the bike but they were know to break at the mounts causing similar issues.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:18 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

[[ We put a new fuel pump in the bike a couple years back, and a new crank sensor. ]]

I'd suggest you check the crankcase sensor again, at the very least check the connections to it. You might pull it out, clean it, reinstall it, and see what happens.

I had the same problem one time with my 2000 Road Glide -- cranked easily but no start. Replacing the crankcase sensor fixed it...

Old 01-09-2015, 11:04 AM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good advice - thanks again.

Maybe it is just the crank sensor again - easy enough to swap it out again. And yeah, I'll remove the tuner & see what happens.

Really hoping it's not a dead ECU.

I put this post in the Touring Forum, but I don't know how to move or delete this one. Getting lots of good responses over there too, so I'll follow up on that post in the Touring forum.

Thanks all, much appreciated.

JR

Last edited by JR-Boston; 01-09-2015 at 11:06 AM.