General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have I lost my mind? (long read)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 04:55 AM
AliensilverFXDBI
Road Captain
Received 242 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Have I lost my mind? (long read)

I'm 33, no kids, homeowner, and a bachelor. I bought my first bike in March of 2012. It was an '06 FXDB. I put right at 4500 miles on it in just under 3 months. At that point I realized that I wanted a bagger so I could travel a bit more comfortably. June 1st of 2012 I bought a '12 street glide. I saw 8 states in less than one year and was forced to sell it (lost my job) at only 14 months of ownership with 20k on the clock.

Here's my dilemma....

I literally cannot stop thinking about the riding I was able to do in those months. I'm to the point of selling all of my belongings, including my home, in order to procure another bike.

Basically all I want is to be a drifter, riding from town to town working just to put fuel in the bike and food in my face. I'm dead serious.

Has anyone here ever done something so foolish? I have zero ties keeping me in my current situation. I have an extensive CNC machining background so finding work will be a breeze where ever I wind up.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Old 01-19-2015, 05:05 AM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Go for it! No ties, why not? Trampin' is a rough life. A few do it though and love it. I have lots of ties and I need a home base.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:18 AM
DianneB
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Of course you have lost you mind! All of the really interesting people have

I spent my 20s and 30s moving around, following jobs, following romance all over the country. Being a gypsy is a great learning experience and broadens one's horizons. The only down-side of being a gypsy is that you are ENTIRELY at your own devices and friendships are fleeting. I didn't stay put until I had a great job in a part of the country I REALLY liked among people I enjoyed.

As for a bike, I can understand the addiction! I got it when I was young and kept coming back to it again and again for 50 years. There is no point denying it!

Old 01-19-2015, 05:55 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

You are not alone. For some good reading about others who have done that exact same thing over the past few years, it's worth reading many of the ride reports at advrider. You'll get the good , the bad and the ugly of what it takes to sell it all and live out on the road. My only .02 is to make sure you also keep your health insurance in some form that works for you and covers you, that'll protect you when your out there and let you continue on your journey.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:55 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

OK did something like that when I was young then the draft came along. I say at 33 years old buying your own home that's very good and don't give it up for a bike. Go get a job if none in your area move. You may think I'm nuts, but at 33 time to work on your retirement with a good job some place. Hell you can buy a Jap bike for peanuts just to hole you over.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:36 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Not crazy at all. You did the smart thing - you never got married and never had kids. That opens up opportunities that most people only dream of.

Screw it - why not? You're certainly not gonna be able to do it once you're married - unless you find a dream woman. LOL!

Old 01-19-2015, 07:41 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

If you're OK w/liv'n day-by-day, roaming all over God's country, being out in the elements (rain/shine/warm/cold), making love to "Ms Lefty" while "Ms Righty" watches...who are we to stop you.

Not for me...been there/done that & I like having a lady by my side as I snuggle in a warm/toasty bed after an awesome meal and listening to it storm outside.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:03 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

then came bronson on again ? just kidding! when i was younger working construction i moved around alot and always had my bike with me. met so many people and alot of women back then. i thought it was great! do it while you are young though, it's hard on an old guy.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:45 AM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I was also thinking about the Bronson show with Michael Parks jumping from one town to another.Get you a tent and you can stay at the KOA's cheap, they usually have good showers. Sometimes the KOA's also offer a really cheap breakfast.

Last edited by C908; 01-19-2015 at 08:58 AM. Reason: delete a sentence
Old 01-19-2015, 08:49 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Something I've dreamed of,but will most likely never do!

Quick Reply: Have I lost my mind? (long read)