General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-18-2015, 05:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Some traffic lights cannot be triggered by motorcycles. Various tricks that people try:

Check your local state laws as they may allow you to take the red after waiting a specific amount of time.

Read the full discussion below to find out what works for other members.
            Print Wikipost

Traffic lights that stay red for motorcycles.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 07:59 AM
            hd_rolling
            Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
            Default Traffic lights that stay red for motorcycles.

In NC we can legally make a turn on a red light on a motorcycle if it doesn't change after 3 minutes and it's safe to do so as per North Carolina General Statute 20-158.
            I've just read an article that says if you put your kickstand down at the intersection that it will trigger the sensor turning the light green, anyone ever try this? Just wondering if there's any truth to it, there are more than a few lights here that don't turn for bikes. At night when there's no traffic its easy to make the turn but during the day you could be sitting there for a while waiting for a car to pull up behind you and too much traffic to safely pull out in town.

I also read about putting a magnet under bike helps with this, anyone try one of these with good results?
            http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/gr.../part/KM-GLTHP

Old 01-21-2015, 08:19 AM
            bigoil7
            Cruiser
            Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most newer bikes will kill if you're holding the clutch (when not in neutral) and put down your kickstand; can be a little embarrassing (from experience ). Personally, I think the magnets and similar tricks are ineffective, so I treat dead red lights like stop signs. Just my $.02.

Last edited by bigoil7; 01-21-2015 at 08:25 AM.
            Old 01-21-2015, 08:21 AM
            ChickinOnaChain
            Big Kahuna HDF Member
            Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

In Texas, we've had a "right turn on red after stop" law for years. And most of our lights are triggered by a beam, attached to the light, pointing down at the traffic.

But...sometimes the light beam won't see a bike and it takes a car coming up behind it, to trigger it.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:27 AM
            Old Sorrel
            Road Captain
            Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigoil7
            ... I treat dead red lights like stop signs.....
            The kind where cross traffic does not stop.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:37 AM
            bigoil7
            Cruiser
            Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Sorrel
            The kind where cross traffic does not stop.
            As OP stated "when safe to do so". I think we're talking mostly about left turns on red lights that don't change after an extended period. If the cross traffic doesn't let up, I will sometimes opt to take a right, then a U-turn.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:45 AM
            hd_rolling
            Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bigoil7
            Most newer bikes will kill if you're holding the clutch (when not in neutral) and put down your kickstand; can be a little embarrassing (from experience ). Personally, I think the magnets and similar tricks are ineffective, so I treat dead red lights like stop signs. Just my $.02.
            I never tried putting the stand down while in gear, interesting. I read about this method on a myth busters type page, they say it worked but were using crotch rockets. Never heard of it and figured i'd see if anyone does it all the time type deal.

And yes this is for left turns on red, which is legal in some states like NC and TX. But might be a hassle if the cop that see's you doing it doesn't know about the law.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:59 AM
            Brewmany
            Elite HDF Member
            Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Depends on the type of sensor they are using to trip the light, if it's a magnetic one, the sidestand trick may work. There is at least one company selling strong magnets that you're supposed to put on the bike down by the oil pan, that are also supposed to help trip the magnetic sensors.
            MN law allows motorcycles to proceed thru stuck traffic signals. On my Suzuki I got stuck at t few lights, so far none in the Harley. Go figure.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:04 AM
            Mi3ninos
            Grand HDF Member
            Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

In Texas we have a Bill pending this session (starts now) to address the issue. See no reason why we cant get it passed. Im more concerned with the attachment of nonsense legislation.

From the CoC&I site
            "On the Legislative front we have developed two pieces of legislation to present during our annual Legislative Day activities at the Capitol, for which we have assumed the lead role in organizing. Our first piece of legislation, a Red Light Bill, will allow a motor vehicle operator to pass through an intersection on a red light in the event the lights do not change; this bill is complete and ready for sponsorship. We are in the process of putting the final touches on a second, more complicated, piece of legislation which will provide funding for motorcycle safety, training, education, and awareness projects throughout the state. We will provide more detailed information regarding both pieces of legislation once we have identified sponsors in the Legislature."

Last edited by Mi3ninos; 01-21-2015 at 09:10 AM.
            Old 01-21-2015, 09:06 AM
            OKMICK
            Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
            In Texas we have a Bill pending this session (starts now) to address the issue. See no reason why we cant get it passed. Im more concerned with the attachment of nonsense legislation.
            Not to get the thread completely sideways but what are they considering attaching to what seems to be a straight forward bill?

Old 01-21-2015, 09:09 AM
            Onetrackmind
            Intermediate
            Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried putting my kickstand down in different locations inside the loop in the pavement while on the super glide, it didn't seem to work for me. From what I understand the system is triggered from the change in inductance when a car/bike sits inside the coil. Apparently some are just not adjusted with a low enough sensitivity for bikes to trigger the light with their lower mass of steel. We need more bikers working for the traffic departments!

Quick Reply: Traffic lights that stay red for motorcycles.