General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted regarding bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 08:59 AM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,529 Likes on 684 Posts
Default Opinions wanted regarding bike

Greetings All,

Here's my "Problem". I have an 09 SG that I absolutely love. I have done Custom Dynamic LED's all around and have a TruckLight Phase 7 LED headlight. I have SE AC and mufflers, along with ExIED's. I also have a color matched detachable tour pak. My bike has 42K miles on it.

I have an opportunity to buy a buddies 2010 SG with 2K miles on it. My buddy didn't like the single exhaust for the 2010, so he put an 09 dual on (stock take off). So the bike is basically stock, single owner, garage kept, never seen rain (or much sunshine either). The 2010 is the same color as mine, so my tour pak will will match.

I can take most of the add ons I put on my bike, swap them over to the 2010, and have an almost new, basically unused bike. At that point, I can sell my 09. A no-brainer so far, right?

This is the kicker-I feel connected to my bike. We have been to Sturgis, all over Canada, through the North East, and down the Atlantic Coast. I feel like my bike is part of me. It has provided me with all of the "Highway Therapy" I ever needed and I feel like my bike has soul.

My reason for considering doing this is mileage/longevity/reliability. I would like to continue to put the miles on and I am concerned about a mechanical failure on the road. The 2010 isn't even broken in yet. But my 09 has been well cared for with more than routine maintenance.

So what are your thoughts and opinions on this? Stick with the reliable work horse 09, or move into the basically new 2010?

Last edited by ConfuciusSay; 01-21-2015 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Updated info
Old 01-21-2015, 09:47 AM
KUB
Extreme HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts

Stick to your reliable work horse !! If I was gonna trade up it would be brand new with new warranty ! Good luck !!

Old 01-21-2015, 09:52 AM
Riptide1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy the 10 & use it for parts.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:59 AM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Keep your baby! We see on here every day the number of people that trade up, trade in, switch brands, etc., trying to get that special bond with their bike. That's something that can't be bought or replaced. The only thing you'll gain is some mileage. You'll still have a 5 yr old bike instead of a 6 yr old one and still basically the same bike. There are thousands of bikes in excellent shape that have 3 times the mileage yours does.

My opinion? Make sure you keep up with the maintenance on your bike and keep that special bond. Decide this one with your heart, not your brain!

Last edited by DeeRides; 01-21-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:14 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,595 Likes on 9,812 Posts

Yeah, I think trading SG for SG isn't going to get you much. If you were going for a different bike, id say go for it. but you may end up missing the 09 although technically the 10 isn't much difference.

Last edited by Super Glidester; 01-21-2015 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Had to reword
Old 01-21-2015, 10:18 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,927 Likes on 2,567 Posts

I am a fan of the high mileage on my odometer. Source of pride that I ride my bike. So to have the exact same bike but with less miles does not appeal to me. Would only do it for a major upgrade to what I am riding. But it seems like you will just have the same bike with less miles.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:42 AM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Tough one here. You don't mention the $$$$, so its hard to consider without knowing where you would be on that. Some where in those two models was a frame change, If you were getting the better frame, then that would be a plus on the swap. But with the cost of title, swapping your stuff over (especially if you have to have the dealer do it), I don't see enough advantage to do this. as far as your attachment to the old bike, that will come with the new one to. you will make it your own and start a new story with it. Hell... good excuse to have to go back to Sturgis.

And i'm with KUB, if you were talking about a '14 or newer, then I would say go for it to have all the new stuff they offer.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:49 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

09 and 10 same frame. Not sure why you would do this unless you've had mechanical issues on the 09 or unless you're break-even on the deal after you sell?
Personally I understand what you're saying- I wouldn't trade my 08 for a 15 even if it was a straight trade. I like piling up the memories one on top of the other.
Now I might add a 15 to the garage, though, if it was a model that was considerably different than what I have now.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:30 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

You need to have 2 bikes Sir! The Forum has spoken, now go ride in peace

I was faced with the same situation last summer. I decided to keep my King. I finally have her the way I want her and I'm not in the mood to start over again. Maybe in the future I can put a 2nd bike in the stable, but right now.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. Your problem is a good problem to have.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:49 AM
Old Sorrel
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ConfuciusSay
.....I feel connected to my bike. We have been to Sturgis, all over Canada, through the North East, and down the Atlantic Coast. I feel like my bike is part of me. It has provided me with all of the "Highway Therapy" I ever needed and I feel like my bike has soul.
Then all other things but mileage being even.......

Is it worth it to sacrifice all of that for a mere 42,000 mile turn back of the odo?
Only you can truly appreciate all those miles she gave you.

Hell, she's just broken in man.

I say don't do it.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted regarding bike