General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 11:51 AM
MN_RoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Taiwan

I'm looking at a high probability of working in Taipei for the next year, starting in May. On the list of negatives is leaving my beautiful RK under cover in MN right when the weather is warming up. However, limited research shows an HD dealership and HOG chapter in Taipei. Not saying I would join the HOG chapter but it shows there is some HD enthusiasts in the area, and gives a glimmer of hope that I can rent and ride in Taiwan.

So I'm just curious if anyone has experience riding in Taiwan? Maybe some forum members living there now?

Old 01-21-2015, 12:46 PM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 283 Likes on 108 Posts

I have not ridden in Taiwan, I'll make that clear up front.
However, I spent 5 weeks there for work in 2008. Mostly in Hsinchu, with a few trips to Taipei. From what I saw there's no way I would ride there on a Harley. *Maybe on a rental scooter, maybe. There are thousands and thousands of mopeds and scooters zipping all over the place. Very few own cars, everyone owns scooters. I never saw anything larger than about 125cc, though I'm sure if there's an HD dealer there should be a few out there. You will definitely stick out like a sore thumb on a Harley so be prepared for that.
Between the foreign traffic laws, of which I had no clue (even as a pedestrian you better watch out), and the street signs in Chinese (of which I'm not fluent), and the rough side streets with potholes that would swallow you, I'm not sure I'd survive without a very knowledgeable in country expert showing me the ropes.

I have seen a family of 4 on a scooter. I have seen all manner of household furniture and goods strapped to a scooter. I have seen an intersection where there were 6 streets criss-crossing, with redlights, pedestrians, all over the place. I don't know how I walked through alive much less how I'd do on a bike.

Having said that, once you're there, you'll get a better feel and may be up to the challenge. The people there are extraordinarily nice and friendly. Service is impeccable, even in the 7-11 type corner stores. People leave their scooters and bicycles parked all over the sidewalk and other places, unlocked. Theft is very rare. I think I only saw maybe one overweight person the entire time I was there (excluding the Americans and Europeans of course!).
Good luck.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:56 PM
Old Sorrel
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad was stationed in Taipei. All he would tell me about the place is that it stunk to high hell.

And to this day he will not step foot in any oriental style restaurants.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:39 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,344 Likes on 844 Posts

They have a lot of problems with heart attacks over there. It turns out they have a lot of Taipei personalities!

Old 01-21-2015, 06:42 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,139 Likes on 11,100 Posts

I don't see many Harley's in this Taipei biker traffic.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:02 PM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 283 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
I don't see many Harley's in this Taipei biker traffic.
Traffic Jam in Taiwan All of them Scooters - YouTube

Yep that's exactly what I remember it was like. Ah, the surgical masks....the surgical mask to the Taiwanese rider is like the doo rag to the American Harley rider.
When you're in traffic in all the smog and exhaust you'll understand why they wear them though.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:40 AM
Bikeagraman
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been to Taiwan many, many times for business. The people are very friendly, but the traffic is crazy. The scooters are all over the place and buzz around the cars such that, for first time visitors to the country, it would seem the riders are just completely mad.

With that said, I did drive in Taiwan a couple of times (in Hsinchu), and my colleague (a native islander) told me to "forget about watching for the scooters, they'll take care of themselves." It's pretty true - them scooter riders have pretty good skills.

I've also ridden scooters in Taiwan, but I've never had the chance to ride Harleys. They have dedicated lanes for scooters there in big cities. Pretty interesting. I don't believe motorcycles are allowed on their highways though.

Besides the HOG chapter (which is supposedly very active), there is a specialty shop that hand crafts parts for Harley bobbers. The shop is called Rough Craft. Roland Sands has also partnered with that shop (see Roland Sand's URL: http://www.rolandsands.com/wp/2013/01/14/rough-crafts).

When you are in Taiwan, enjoy the food. The food there is fantastic. It's not the typical bland Chinese food you'd find in the Mid West. Too bad Old Sorrel's dad did not enjoy his time stationed in Taiwan (there hasn't been any US military presence in Taiwan since around 1976 -- The place has changed a lot (for the better) since then. I've been going there for business in the 80's, so I've seen quite a bit of good progress.

My understanding from talking with my colleagues is that the northern, eastern, and southern part of Taiwan have some beautiful scenery.

Good luck with your trip. I think you'll enjoy it. One of my customers, the founder of a very successful silicon vally start-up who is now a billionaire and owns the Memphis Grizzly basketball team, loves going to Taiwan. He loves the people, the scenes, and the technical talent there.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:31 AM
dbc58
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the cities, commuting, yes it sucks to ride. Once you get used to local customs, it's not so bad. If you get out in the country it's beautiful. Last time I was there, bikes weren't allowed on the freeways. Rumor was they were going to change that. Traffic is crazy, but no worse than other Asian countries I've ridden (Thailand, Laos & Myanmar). The Hualien area is full of great roads especially route 8 through Tarako National Park. The HOG chapter in Taichung was very accommodating and even if you don't ride there I would suggest visiting them.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:19 PM
MN_RoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks all for the valuable feedback. I've been to Hong Kong and China quite a few times and I assumed traffic in Taiwan is about the same....completely nuts. But I'll get a feel for things once I get there and decide what kind of risk I'm willing to take. I probably will also check out a HOG chapter. Probably a good place to make some like-minded Taiwanese friends.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikeagraman
It's not the typical bland Chinese food you'd find in the Mid West.
Which isn't Chinese food at all....