General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane Booster ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 10:15 AM
fox chaser
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Octane Booster ?

Small business owner. Always watching pennies. Tracking fuel costs. Observation! Since Jan.1 vehicle gas mileage has dropped 35%! Just did tune up in Nov. THANKS OIL COMPANIES!!! Rochester N.Y. is notorious for Crappy fuel (and prices) Gas mileage always drops with winter mixture, but this is nuts! My question. If this sludge continues into spring I'll need a fuel additive for Big Red. My 96 EVO cries when I feed her less than 93 octane. Anybody use an octane booster, and where do you get it? Opinions? Thanks

Old 01-22-2015, 10:29 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

Om my way back from sturgis is 98 there were about three different gas stops that had high octane race gas, i believe it was 108... We filled our bikes up and hit the road to the next fuel stop... Blued the **** out of the pipes and the inside of the pipes looked like a light colored gray ash.

Bike loved that high octane fuel, and it cleaned the **** out of the fuel system.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:39 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,172 Likes on 11,106 Posts

E85 is "high octane" with crappy mpg.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:47 AM
porschedog
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd be hesitant to use E85 in a bike not designed for it. That's a lot of alcohol for the system to deal with, and it will result in lower MPG (alcohol does not produce as much energy as gas)

I use Startron in my gas, it seems to boost octane - I can run my Jeep V8 HO on 87 octane ( instead off the 91 suggested by the owners manual) if I dose the fuel with the blue stuff, but it runs rough if I do not. Just my experience; use what makes you happy.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:33 PM
albertasaurus
Road Master
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Are you really saving any money using an octane booster additive versus buying the 91 or 93 octane gasoline?

Old 01-22-2015, 12:46 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by albertasaurus
Are you really saving any money using an octane booster additive versus buying the 91 or 93 octane gasoline?
No, I would only use it when the higher, 91 or 93, octane isn't available.

BTW: Don't be mislead by claims on the booster label that says it raises the octane by X points. An octane point = .1, so a 10 point octane boost using 87 octane gas gives you 88 octane.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:15 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Most all Octane boosters are nothing more than a way for some company to separate you from your money. Nothing more than scam to fix a problem that really might not even exist. Bad gas is a reality but doesn't occur on a continuous basis even in the shadiest of stations or areas. Think you have water in your fuel? Get a bottle of Heat and pour some of that into the tank to lock up and expel any water in the system. The only way a HD is going to run like crap on 87 octane or higher fuel is the fact that it is a higher compression build.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:02 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I've used it a few times and didn't notice any difference. If I want high octane, I'll use premium gas.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:33 PM
STA-BILŪ
Former Sponsor
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fox chaser
Small business owner. Always watching pennies. Tracking fuel costs. Observation! Since Jan.1 vehicle gas mileage has dropped 35%! Just did tune up in Nov. THANKS OIL COMPANIES!!! Rochester N.Y. is notorious for Crappy fuel (and prices) Gas mileage always drops with winter mixture, but this is nuts! My question. If this sludge continues into spring I'll need a fuel additive for Big Red. My 96 EVO cries when I feed her less than 93 octane. Anybody use an octane booster, and where do you get it? Opinions? Thanks
Hi fox chaser,

With any octane boost, the higher octane gas you start with the less benefit you receive in terms of raising octane. So if you use the same octane boost in 87 as you do in 93, you will receive more benefits of the octane boost in the 87 octane gas.

Our octane boost (104+Ū) does a really good job of cleaning the fuel system. I run it through my car every oil change. If you'd be interested I would be happy to send you a few samples to try out.

Have a great day

Old 01-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

I used to run "104" "back in the day" in my high performance street car. I kinda doubt the formulation is the same as it once was. The stuff back then was based on aniline oil. Very poisonous stuff!

Later, as I upped the compression ratio, I did a mix of 4 parts premium gasoline (in those days it was 95 octane with lead) 1 part toluene, and a few CCs of acetone and castor oil. The jet size needed to be increased a tad, but it worked. At least for 12-1 comp ratio.

Why not just run race gas? We were cheap back then and toluene was easily obtainable.

These days, if I were building a high performance motor for the street, I would base the build on readily available fuel. That is, if it was to be driven any distance. Availability of high octane fuel or even octane booster may not always be there.

Quick Reply: Octane Booster ?