General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grip question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:17 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Grip question

I'm about to pull the trigger on new bars. I find the stock grips just fine but my shop manual says that I need to cut the left one off, is this the case or can I get it off and re-use it by using WD-40 or something?

I have been looking at grips just in case and really like the looks of these in the smooth black

http://www.slickcustoms.com/media/ca...6/06300663.jpg

Obviously most grips have rubber or grip material of some such, so was wondering if this style is not functionally good? I do ride with gloves 100% of the time.

thanks for any advice!

Old 01-26-2015, 07:34 AM
union53
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

You can try and blow some air under the grip to get the glue to break.

I like rubber grips. Helps dampen any vibrations that come through the bars. I also like the traction it gives your hand. Don't have to hold the grip as hard. I also wear gloves.

In the end it's personal preference.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:38 AM
grapeapes
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you can also try a wire coat hanger straightened out, but with the end closest to you bent like a crank handle. Slide it under the grip and crank around like opening a sardine can.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:41 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks, I hadn't thought about vibration as a factor. Couple that with my going to a one piece pull back style drag bar and I guess I should be!

Old 01-26-2015, 10:55 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You can push a narrow flat blade screwdriver underneath the grip as far as you can....work it in there. While it's in there spray some WD40 underneath the grip and work the screwdriver around. Do the same thing about 180 degrees away and the grip will slip off slicker than cat crap on a linoleum floor.
As far as grips go, the best I've found are Precicion Machine with the tacky (and replaceable) Renthal rubber inserts. It takes far less strength to keep your hands on the grips than any other grip I've tried. Don't leave home without 'em.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:16 AM
Fatboy1389
Road Warrior
Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

narrow flat blade screwdriver worked for me many times... use a heat gun too to soften the rubber and loosen any glue used during the original installation

Old 01-26-2015, 11:19 AM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
I'm about to pull the trigger on new bars. I find the stock grips just fine but my shop manual says that I need to cut the left one off, is this the case or can I get it off and re-use it by using WD-40 or something?

I have been looking at grips just in case and really like the looks of these in the smooth black

http://www.slickcustoms.com/media/ca...6/06300663.jpg

Obviously most grips have rubber or grip material of some such, so was wondering if this style is not functionally good? I do ride with gloves 100% of the time.

thanks for any advice!
One of the forum members on here suggested using boiling water, but when I changed mine, I just twisted it hard, and it came loose.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:59 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Cool thanks guys.

I'd like to change the grips, but I've spent so mcuh recently that if I can salvage these it may make more sense. I do like the looks of the billet and torpedo style but doesn't sound like they're functional for every day and all day use.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:12 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I've never had a problem working the grip off of any of the bikes I have had. It's just a matter of being patient and not using a knife to work under the grip. I usually use a small o-ring pick and a little WD40.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:42 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried some of the various methods but some of them are glued on so tight it's impossible to get them off in one piece. I've never much cared for the stock grips so I just cut them off.

Quick Reply: Grip question