General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for taking pictures of motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 01:32 PM
bmoreno
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

taking pictures where youre not supposed to be is a plus lol, I like to try enter business areas and side walk shots

sick!!

Sand island hawaii
Diamond head
Fisheye

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 12-15-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:50 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by bmoreno
sick!!

Thanks man

Old 02-07-2017, 11:46 AM
OldHarley
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Beary,
Thanks for the photo tips, I'm gonna try them. It would be nice to have some good pics of my bike for a change.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:30 PM
Proline1969
Cruiser
Received 184 Likes on 72 Posts

Good info and lots of great pics

Old 02-10-2017, 10:02 AM
DALE#3
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Odd986 (08-29-2019)
Old 02-23-2017, 08:07 AM
OldHarley
Intermediate

Hey Beary,

Old 02-23-2017, 08:09 AM
OldHarley
Intermediate

Hey Beary,
I have taken some pics and used your suggestions. I'm still working on getting the right effect and lighting is a pain but that's the way it goes I guess...Ill keep at it I will have pics soon.
Cheers.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:10 PM
thirdcoast
6th Gear

Originally Posted by beary
I enjoy looking at pictures of motorcycles, plus I look at a lot of them for buying and selling. I have seen some really good artistic pictures and some really really bad ones. I am not a hobbyist photographer, but I've learned a few simple practical tips for getting good pictures. I will add a couple of tips, but I would really like to learn some tips from you folks who are good at taking good motorcycle photographs. Maybe this will even be turned into a sticky, but I invite all to contribute a tip or two.

When taking a picture of the whole bike from the side, shoot it at tank level to get the best detail and profile. Front and back shots look better from about a foot above the tank level.

Same tip goes for a zoomed in shots of specific parts of the bike like the engine, oil bag or saddle bags. Of course if a look down angle shot helps show off the detail like engraving, then of course do it, but rarely does the angle need to be more than 30 degrees maximum.

Always try to take the picture with the sun or your light coming from behind you. Shadows loose the details of the motorcycle. I know that may require moving the bike around, but it is worth it to get good shots.

Sparkling chrome looks great, but too much can be too much. Using the early morning or late afternoon sun can defuse the light enough to show off the chrome without taking away from the rest of the bike. I’m sure others here have some suggestions to help there.

For selling the bike, I find that four profile shots are plenty to show the bike. But take the front and back shot from a slight angle to the side to give the shot more perspective.

I find that unless the subject of your photo is the area around or behind the bike like the Grand Canyon or Monument Valley, the more simple the background, the better. I ride around looking for building walls because they lack detail in most cases that distract or confuse the motorcycle lines.

Beary
Thanks for the tips.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:56 PM
willienatz
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by beary
I enjoy looking at pictures of motorcycles, plus I look at a lot of them for buying and selling. I have seen some really good artistic pictures and some really really bad ones. I am not a hobbyist photographer, but I've learned a few simple practical tips for getting good pictures. I will add a couple of tips, but I would really like to learn some tips from you folks who are good at taking good motorcycle photographs. Maybe this will even be turned into a sticky, but I invite all to contribute a tip or two.

When taking a picture of the whole bike from the side, shoot it at tank level to get the best detail and profile. Front and back shots look better from about a foot above the tank level.

Same tip goes for a zoomed in shots of specific parts of the bike like the engine, oil bag or saddle bags. Of course if a look down angle shot helps show off the detail like engraving, then of course do it, but rarely does the angle need to be more than 30 degrees maximum.

Always try to take the picture with the sun or your light coming from behind you. Shadows loose the details of the motorcycle. I know that may require moving the bike around, but it is worth it to get good shots.

Sparkling chrome looks great, but too much can be too much. Using the early morning or late afternoon sun can defuse the light enough to show off the chrome without taking away from the rest of the bike. I’m sure others here have some suggestions to help there.

For selling the bike, I find that four profile shots are plenty to show the bike. But take the front and back shot from a slight angle to the side to give the shot more perspective.

I find that unless the subject of your photo is the area around or behind the bike like the Grand Canyon or Monument Valley, the more simple the background, the better. I ride around looking for building walls because they lack detail in most cases that distract or confuse the motorcycle lines.

Beary
Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:26 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,361 Likes on 1,273 Posts

I find using a prime lens, such as 1.8 F1.8 helps with limiting the depth of field and blurring the back ground, as do zooms from a ways away. When using a dSLR I will sometimes meter off the pavement, as to not let the chrome over power the meter. I snapped a few shots of my new 2016 Limited the other day....the sun was setting fast, and I wasn't really digging the back ground, but I shot a few anyway, as I didn't have time to find a better spot.

Quick Reply: Tips for taking pictures of motorcycles