General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pittsburgh Motorcycle jack??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 03:53 PM
Beretta52
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Pittsburgh Motorcycle jack??

I know it's not the best jack out there, but for $69.99 (on sale) reg $149.99 Harbor Freight- and with a lift capability up to 1500lbs can it really be that bad? Basically going to use it for light maintenance only, cleaning etc. Bike won't be sitting on it much. Anyone have one?? 1/2 off the reg price, seems pretty good.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:56 PM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

I am very happy with mine, was my dad's before I started doing all his maintenance too. I recommend it, but I'm no the guy that cares about brand names. I have 2 dressers and they hoist them up with no problems.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:50 PM
evil-1
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine works great, lifts both of my bikes no problem. If you pick one up make sure to read the directions on lowering, it has a two stage lowering speed. Do it the wrong way and you may poop a little.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:26 PM
Beretta52
Tourer

As luck would have it. I bought one and it's going back tomorrow. Can't get the damn thing under my bike. It keeps hitting the frame. Even had the bike upright (almost) & the damn jack still hit it. Says 5.5" minimum height. Guess I need something smaller now. They have a 4 3/4" minimum jack. Not sure if I want to try that or just say **** it altogether and get a refund.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:30 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Rebuilt my old evo on one... and do all of my work on one. I abuse the hell out of it and it keeps on going. It's probably the only thing I've ever bought from harbor freight that I actually liked. Sorry yours is too tall. My old evo has some decent ground clearance... got 13.5" fxdx shocks on it.

Last edited by tmanbuckhunter; 01-28-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:39 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I like mine but it does lack in the clearance department. I found one at Sears, a LONG time ago; it's a craftsman, it has the lowest profile I've yet seen; we use that on our lower clearance bikes, my friends and me. The only other problem I've ever had w Harbor Freights' is that you have to pay attention where you are width-wise. I wish they were just a few inches longer to overlap the frame more easily. I keep meaning to weld new arms on but have never gotten around to it.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:19 PM
Beretta52
Tourer

Originally Posted by Onedef1
I like mine but it does lack in the clearance department. I found one at Sears, a LONG time ago; it's a craftsman, it has the lowest profile I've yet seen; we use that on our lower clearance bikes, my friends and me. The only other problem I've ever had w Harbor Freights' is that you have to pay attention where you are width-wise. I wish they were just a few inches longer to overlap the frame more easily. I keep meaning to weld new arms on but have never gotten around to it.

I'll see if they sell jack with the 4.75" minimum height. Only other option is to put the wheels onto 2x10 wooden blocks to raise the bike frame height. The thought of that is not re-assuring however..

Old 01-29-2015, 08:04 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

I use my HF jack on both my bikes. On the Street Glide I just have to look under the bike more to make sure everything is lined up. Then again I moved the rail to the out side on mine so I can use it on the Dyna....not sure if that makes a difference.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:28 AM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roll the bike up a board I use a couple of 1/2" pieces of plywood in a gradual step form so its easy to get the bike positioned and Harley frame protectors works great.

Last edited by thomasf59; 01-29-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:00 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I use an HF hi lift jack most of the time, only needs 2 1/4" clearance (size of the lifting arms, go flat against the floor). Wide arms, very sturdy, and a nice hand release you can creep down, great for lining up axles. Cost double or more than the cheap HF jack, of course, but still cheap as jacks go. Only negative I have about it, won't move with a bike on it - take the wheels off, gonna be there till they're back on. If I want to be able to move it, then I use one with wheels - it's an older HF cheapie, like it better than the current black ones, but it's still got that backwards foot release, push a little, and it goes fast, push all the way and it goes slower; just goes against instinct.

Why it's called a hi-lift... nice to sit on a stool and have the clutch at a comfortable working height.

A bit wide for earlier sporties, bolted an extra piece of angle on one leg to catch shorter frames better.

Quick Reply: Pittsburgh Motorcycle jack??