General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm kinda nuts...

Old 01-29-2015, 06:09 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,508 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default I'm kinda nuts...

This past October, I traded in my '11 BMW R1200R for a '15 S1000r. Loved the bike for about two weeks, before I realized I made a mistake. It's just not comfortable beyond a couple of hours. It's an amazing piece of technology in every way. The fastest vehicle I have ridden, by far. But I don't fit.

Last month, I picked up a '08 FXD, which I absolutly love. All I've ridden.

So, I've decided I want out of the BMW note and want a new Dyna. I really like the 2014 super glide custom on the site, but I expect all I'll find are '15's realistically. So that will be a low rider. The thing is, I would just keep my FXD, but I really want ABS. Esp if it's my only bike. I've had more then one times front abs has activated on my BMW's, so it's not even a decision. It's decided.

Now, the tricky part. BMW rolled a couple grand into my S1000R note to cover the r1200r payoff, so all said and done the payoff on the S1000R is now about $5k more then the book on it. The Dyna has a book around $7k.

I don't have too big a problem eating it, but I'm wondering if the dealer would take *two* bikes in trade... The BMW and the FXD. The FXD would cover the payoff of the S1000R and leave a couple grand leftover to put down on the FXDL.

I could also get a bank loan, but that won't get me out of the BMW. So it sounds like I'm pretty much going to take a bath in any case.

If only you could retro abs, but we know that's not happening...

So I'm looking at a real beating. But it'll be one I take with a smile, looking at my new ride.

Last edited by Mchad; 01-29-2015 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:15 AM
samac1068
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'd have to agree, that is a little nuts but completely understandable. I've looked into a BMW bike, but never could talk myself out of the Ultra I have now. I LOVE my Ultra and after taking her to Florida and back and I can still feel my ***, I know it is comfy.

How much of a beating would you take just returning the BMW? It has only been a couple of weeks correct?

Old 01-29-2015, 06:27 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by samac1068
Well, I'd have to agree, that is a little nuts but completely understandable. I've looked into a BMW bike, but never could talk myself out of the Ultra I have now. I LOVE my Ultra and after taking her to Florida and back and I can still feel my ***, I know it is comfy.

How much of a beating would you take just returning the BMW? It has only been a couple of weeks correct?
I took it home in October, so it's been three months. Don't think they'll just take it back. It'll be the same situation though. Note is higher then the value of the bike. I was thinking the Harley dealer might take the FXD as well, which would save me some cash out of pocket at least.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:37 AM
samac1068
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that is a tough spot. Yeah, I thought it was only a couple of weeks, but after three months pretty sure you are outside the return policy. Have you spoken to any dealer, hell I say call a couple of dealers in your area and see what each of them would say.

Sales are slow during these months, so they may be willing to work with you.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:43 AM
KSJ08
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your only hope of getting a new FXDC is a left over. That's why I jumped at getting mine last August. I was going to wait till spring. Why HD stopped producing the FXDC in 14 is same as why did Toyota stop FJ Cruiser in 14?? They obviously sell but then again I'm no bean counter. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:57 AM
Riptide1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would personally go back to the BMW dealer & talk to the owner or GM.
Since they "are" a BMW dealer it seems you will be offered a better re-purchase price compared to a non BMW dealer.
A lot will depend on how you have stored the bike since purchase, (inside or outside), condition & how many miles you've put on it.
Like anything of this nature you are going to end up writing them a check to take it back off your hands.
If you not in a all fire hurry, try listing & reselling it yourself.
Minimize your loses.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:59 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by KSJ08
Your only hope of getting a new FXDC is a left over. That's why I jumped at getting mine last August. I was going to wait till spring. Why HD stopped producing the FXDC in 14 is same as why did Toyota stop FJ Cruiser in 14?? They obviously sell but then again I'm no bean counter. Good luck.
The reason they stopped selling the FXDC (for now) is because of the Low Rider. Also the Street Bob is now the 'entry-level' Dyna. It's all about the Benjamins.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:11 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

There's lots of ways to look at taking a bath - ultimately it's a bad financial decision. It could have been a money you spent dating a girl that you've now broken up with, you bought shares that went south, an expensive vacation you didn't enjoy, a college course you didn't finish, a piece of really nice jewelry you lost, a bad business investment. So if you can stand to take the loss go for what you like.

We all have made bad financial decisions in our lives, and we'll probably make some more again. It's only money right? But anyway, only you can decide if the cost is something you can recover from. If not right now then hang on to what you have until you can afford it.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:00 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Yeah, I can afford it. (Single, good income, inexpensive, understanding girl) Especially if I can get them to take the Dyna as well as the BMW. The Dyna's value should offset the balance on the BMW, and leave me a few bucks to put down. I would toss in another few thousand to get 20% down (total - trade and cash). My credit isn't like some of the 800 club's - but its right around 700 so I should be ok on the terms.

It's all dependent on whether the dealer will take both bikes as a trade towards a new Low Rider... I'm sure I could do it with just the Dyna, but the main goal is to get out of the BMW - at basically any cost, and get into a new LR.

Originally Posted by uklauren
There's lots of ways to look at taking a bath - ultimately it's a bad financial decision. It could have been a money you spent dating a girl that you've now broken up with, you bought shares that went south, an expensive vacation you didn't enjoy, a college course you didn't finish, a piece of really nice jewelry you lost, a bad business investment. So if you can stand to take the loss go for what you like.

We all have made bad financial decisions in our lives, and we'll probably make some more again. It's only money right? But anyway, only you can decide if the cost is something you can recover from. If not right now then hang on to what you have until you can afford it.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:00 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm not sure what Book Value you're looking at (Retail or Trade In), but you're best bet would be for you to sell both bikes privately. Its more of a hassle because of the pay-offs, & you might have to come up with some cash, but you'll more than likely get more for each bike. Most dealers will take in two trade-ins. It's no big deal. They buy at wholesale (Trade-In or ACV) whether you trade in 1 bike or a dozen bikes. In most states you'll pay less sales tax if you trade in, which is something to consider when thinking about selling your bikes yourself or trading them in to a dealer. Either way, it sounds like you'll have to come up with cash, or be upside down in the Dyna. Btw, Super Glides have come & gone in Harley's line up over the years. Maybe they'll be back in 2016 model year?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm kinda nuts...