General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ride - Carb vs FI

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 07:42 PM
HDRoach
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ride - Carb vs FI

Have been looking for a new ride after 3 years without one. Looked at an 04 Dyna because it fit my budget and needs. Just want a bike to cruise around town in and on secondary highways. Wanted a TC88 (at least) and EFI. Windshield a bonus. Found one that fit and was high on the list. However, I then found an 04 Softail Deuce and for the price difference I had to check on it. It's a slam dunk really. The only trade off is its a carb. My Sporty was a carb and had no issues. But have had FI on my 03 Softail standard, 05 Dyna Super Glide and 07 Fat Boy. Kinda liked FI. Not sure why. Maybe the quick starts. Maybe it did run smoother. Anyway, The Dyna is now in the rear view. Nice bike and I really liked my Dyna, but I can't wait to pickup the Deuce as its a step up from my 03 Softail - which I'd say was the bike that suited me best. The Duece has the look, the extra Chrome and the 88B in a bonus. And being just a touch outside of my budget is not a concern. However, thought I'd post to see if anyone would like to comment on carb vs FI. Thanks.

Last edited by HDRoach; 01-31-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:53 PM
juiced03
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Call me a caveman but I vote for the carb. Really how muck quicker does efi start? You want to change exhaust and /or intake no need to hook up to laptop or get a $$$ dyno tune.
Just my &.02

Old 01-31-2015, 07:54 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by HDRoach
...However, thought I'd post to see if anyone would like to comment on carb vs FI.
Congrats on the new bike!

I stayed away from FI bikes until I finally pulled the trigger on an '08 TC96. I really liked the simplicity of the carb but took the plunge anyway.

I finally spent the time to learn the EFI and even how to tune. While it was a bit of struggle at first, I've come to really appreciate the fine tuning that comes with the EFI system.

Get some saddle time then let us know how it's going!

Old 01-31-2015, 07:57 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Carbs: Usually cold natured, but easy to adjust to dial it in for how you've set the bike up.
EFI: Doesn't matter how cold, it will start easily. But, requires more in depth process to tune for changes in air/fuel ratios.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:16 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I wouldn't let the carb be a deal killer.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:53 PM
HDRoach
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey. Thanks gang. Funny but at first I was like, hmmmm no FI. Then like a ton of bricks it was - 'what are you thinking??? But was interested in hearing opinions of EFI vs Carb. Interesting to know I wouldn't have needed the Fuelpak when I put after market pipes on my FXSTI had it been a carb. Never even considered that. Being in Canada I do get out there when it's a low as 50 degrees for short rides in spring and fall but most riding is when temp is in the 70 - 95 range. Never had to make Carb adjustments just be more patient when warming it up in colder starts. While I will be buying next week probably at least 2 months, maybe 3 before all the snow is gone and spring rains wash the salt and sand off the road.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:37 AM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

there will always be a debate on carb vs efi, if one is not good mechanically than i would stay away from carb. i used to be a fan of carb but the increased ethanol in gas absorbs water so if a bike sits a lot in the winter you will have to drain the gas or put a stabilizer in. ethanol also dries rubber parts in carbs and fuel lines. not that efi is a better fix for ethanol gas but it is more up to date with the materials to resist ethanol. in the end carb is simple for people who enjoy working on bikes and easier to home tune and swap jets and needles. EFI is the turn key and go setup where it works or it is broken. there is more to tune EFI but tuners today are getting more user friendly.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:46 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

When set up right, EFI is bulletproof. My carbs have been just as good though and I prefer to turn a wrench than load a map on a computer. Of all my bikes, I'd have to say my '92 FXR with a carb is the most sorted out. My EFI twin cams have all been great, reliable bikes, but I'd still vote carb given a choice.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:41 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

EFI for me. The only good thing about a carburetor is the old "potato, potato, potato" sound.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:49 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I've had both.

On a multi-intake, multi-cylinder bike, FI is nice. Makes setting up and tuning a lot simpler.

For a single-intake twin HD, I don't see much advantage. Wouldn't be a factor in this decision either way.

Quick Reply: New ride - Carb vs FI