General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Places to Camp during the 75th?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 09:07 AM
Tyrel M. Hanson
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile Best Places to Camp during the 75th?

Alright all, here's the deal. I like to ride, I like the outdoors, therefore I do not stay in hotels (whenever possible). I am looking for a place to camp our during the 75th Sturgis Rally and google maps is letting me down.

I have camped at the rally before but I was only 18, had no money, and parked in a field road and camped in the ditch. Hell of a good time.

I'm looking anywhere in the Custer, Hill City, Deadwood, Lead, Spearfish area. (Within an hour ride to the rally)

This year, I'd like to actually be set up with a nice primitive campsite (not RV site) (no electric, no water, way back out into the woods preferably) that has access to a shower area somewhere. Basically, let's hear your stories, let's hear your advice, let's hear your suggestions! GO.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:55 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Two great places that I have stayed at in the past are chris camp and hog Heaven. Hog Heaven is close by the rally and they have DA BUS that will drop you in town for a few dollars. great food at the food shack and not so rowdy so you actually get some sleep. Chris camp is about 25 miles or so west of Sturgis is a great place as well. They set up a food pavillion and have agreat showers as well as HH. Either one I would stay at again unless you are looking for the party atmosphere and all the concerts in your campsite area, then you will be tied to the Chip or Full Throttle area. Bring your cash for those camps as they are not cheap...

Chris campground http://chriscampground.com/
Hog Heaven http://hogheavencampground.com/

Old 02-01-2015, 12:20 PM
duluth
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Katmandu or Bull Dog they both have primitive camping and are within about 9 miles of Sturgis

Old 02-01-2015, 02:52 PM
ctbarbarian
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Days end was great
Reasonable price
Walking distance to
Downtown

Old 02-01-2015, 02:57 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Wild Bill's Campground just south of Deadwood is where I've stayed in the past and where I am staying this year. I don't like to be kept up all night at places like the Buffalo Chip.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Tyrel M. Hanson
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harleydavis
Wild Bill's Campground just south of Deadwood is where I've stayed in the past and where I am staying this year. I don't like to be kept up all night at places like the Buffalo Chip.

I'm with ya there! Will check this place out, is it reasonably priced even during the rally?

Old 02-02-2015, 05:28 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,381 Likes on 2,486 Posts

Believe it or not, Mt Rushmore KOA is actually pretty good and biker friendly. They have some camp sites in the trees and others in the open.

http://koa.com/campgrounds/mount-rushmore/overview/

Old 02-03-2015, 07:18 AM
SD lumpy
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Look into the KOA at hill city dont know if they have any left got mine last year and there where not many left

Old 02-03-2015, 07:23 AM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,316 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Shade Valley is about 5 miles past Buffalo Chip. They have quite a few trees but I camped out back where there weren't any. It was near the shower building. Good food. Nice bar but also nice and quiet out back to get some sleep.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:39 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Last time I went, I camped at Custer State Park for 10 days. It was fantastic. I arranged in advance with them so I could UPS a large tent there and some other luxuries. When I got there the park rangers delivered my stuff to my camp site in a pickup truck. When it was time to leave, I boxed the stuff back up. Rangers picked it up and shipped it home for me. Had a great time.

Quick Reply: Best Places to Camp during the 75th?