General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone from the Tampa area???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 11:47 AM
C.J
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone from the Tampa area???

Last week we got word that my wife's company is moving to Tampa....big bank, she's been there 20 yrs. They want her down there and they are making it way too easy for us to say yes....they'll even send the movers here to pack our stuff! We are like 90% sure we are gonna make the move. We are just waiting to hear the final deal.

With that, we have started researching. We are going to head down in a few weeks to start looking at houses, just wondering if anyone can steer me in the right direction. Being from NY, I could easily tell you were you want to live and where you do not want to be. Hoping someone has some info to share.

I am looking for a good High School and Middle School. Any recommendation towards a good neighborhood with good schools? My kids will be in 10th and 7th next year.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:02 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 892 Likes on 534 Posts

I'm 10 miles east of Tampa in the Brandon/ Valrico area. Lived here my entire life. Fantastic schools and still some chunks of land available depending how far out you want to go. Tampa is congested as hell and the only other areas I would consider would be north, Wesley Chappel ( way, way, way congested) or even a little further up into the Zephryhills area ( lots of country). You can bet that housing is a lot cheaper down here. BTW, the area I live in has quite a bit of rental properties that the folks from MacDill AFB live in while here. Hwy 60 (E-W) across the state is right here and the Selmon Crossway which runs from Brandon to Tampa is also close by. If you choose this area, try to get your kids into Newsome High School in Lithia, "A" level school that both my kids went to. They really push the students to get them ready for college..

Last edited by Hammerhead Pat; 02-01-2015 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Aditional info
Old 02-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Beretta52
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Tampa itself, is way too crowded for me. I moved further west to Dunedin which borders Clearwater & Palm Harbor. I was told the closer west towards the Gulf, the nicer the area. Not to mention moving west of RT 19. After 6yrs now, my only regret is not moving further south like Bonita Springs or Naples. If you must stay in Tampa itself, consider the traffic, Airport, construction(which seems to go on forever) etc, & real-estate(which can be quite costly on the waterfront). Best advice? contact any realtor and let them steer you from there. We did that & lucked out nicely. Online searching can assist you in schools as well for your kids. And NO MORE SNOW!!!

Old 02-01-2015, 05:37 PM
C.J
Tourer

Thanks for the input.

We are not set on any area yet. My wife would be working in Tampa and she'd like to be within a 30-45 min commute.

Yeah no more snowThis pic is from Monday and we are expecting 6" to fall tonight into tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone from the Tampa area???-img_7066.jpg  
Old 02-01-2015, 06:00 PM
Riptide1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'ld find a place to rent for awhile.
This way you can get to know the area personally, take your time in finding "the" right house, for the right price, in the area you plan to live & raise the kids.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:47 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,479 Likes on 2,478 Posts

I have lived in Tampa Bay for 16 years, & since I do about 200 miles a day for my job, so I know the area like the back of my hand. Originally from Queens. PM me & I can tell you what to look for, & what to avoid, such as areas,stores,prices, good riding, reputable bike shops, etc. If you need a tour guide when you get here, lemme know.

As for Berretta's suggestion, keep in mind that homeowner's insurance companies use US19 as a guideline...any property west of US19 has dramatically higher homeowners insurance costs, because of the proximity to the Gulf & hurricane danger. Also keep in mind that homeowner's insurance does NOT cover flooding; that's a seperate policy, & west of 19 can be ridiculously high.

Last edited by dickey; 02-01-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:34 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,146 Likes on 1,508 Posts

What are the locals opinion of Dunedin?
You still in Tampa area Dickey? Thought you were further north out in more wide open country.

Very interested in this thread...as wife 'n I are hoping to pack up and move south...ideally just a bit south of Tampa. Loved Ft Myers..that's quite a bit more south, but I loved St Pete Beach, and the west area of Brandeton...down to Sarasota.

Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 02-02-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Beretta52
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
What are the locals opinion of Dunedin?
You still in Tampa area Dickey? Thought you were further north out in more wide open country.

Very interested in this thread...as wife 'n I are hoping to pack up and move south...ideally just a bit south of Tampa. Loved Ft Myers..that's quite a bit more south, but I loved St Pete Beach, and the west area of Brandeton...down to Sarasota.
All the beach towns are nice, Clearwater Beach, Indian Rocks,St. Pete Beach & south to Sarasota, Anna Marie Island Captiva, Sanibel etc. Just incredibly expensive if you plan to buy. Also MANDATORY EVACUATION zones in the event of hurricanes. Add crowds and it becomes bothersome with traffic too. Dunedin, where I am is a nice town, runs along the inter-coastal west almost east to RT 19. We're in a non evacuation/flood zone too. It borders Palm Harbor below Tarpon Springs & Clearwater . Pinellas county itself is an island with the Tampa bay on the east side & the Gulf of Mexico on the west side. It can get pretty warm but not as bad as the inland areas. My best advice is do as much research, planning & mapping as to where you'd be interested in living. The drawback to Pinellas county is there are only 3 bridges to get you over to Tampa Bay. The Howard Franklin, the Courtney Campbell causeway(RT 60) or the Gandy down around ST Pete area. And when there is a crash on one of them be prepared to sit in traffic. Tampa Bay has some very nice areas too if the beach isn't your thing. A price budget for everyone you could say. I also liked the Lake Buena Vista area near Disney/ Orlando. Just too far from either coast & Beach. Further south you have Naples & Bonita Springs with somewhat hefty price tags to buy & live there. Yet they seem to be the cleanest and most landscaped areas I have seen yet.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:54 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,146 Likes on 1,508 Posts

C.J....hope you don't mind that I stand close and listen in....

Beretta..good input.

Hopefully this summer wife 'n I will spend time down there and revisit the area around Tampa, and down to Ft Myers....and also what's in between.

I wanted to get a place within a 1 hour drive of an airport that does direct flights to/from Providence RI..so we could easily make trips down there. We'd not be moving down right away, rather..buy a house or condo and also rent it out to vacationers...and a few times a year we'd go down and enjoy it.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:13 PM
C.J
Tourer

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
C.J....hope you don't mind that I stand close and listen in....
There's plenty of room here.....I don't mind at all

Quick Reply: Anyone from the Tampa area???