General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Oil Level Measurement

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Woolybugger
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork Oil Level Measurement

Pulled a bonehead move and accidentally tipped over my forks on my 13' Street Glide, without the threaded caps and spilled some fork oil out. I just want to add the few ounces I spilled, but there is not a measurement posted anywhere for the measurement from the top of fork to the oil level, with forks assembled. I have the syringe tool with adjustable ring for measurement, but need the measurement. The manual says 4.92" without the springs and fully compressed. I need the measurement fully assembled.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:13 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

push them down , then full up .
if you hear sloshing/sucking sound , then add a little until that goes away.

The proper amount of fluid is to allow the dampeners to remain in oil in the fully extended position, and not too much as to hydraulic lock the forks at full compression.

simple huh? btw welcome to the HD Forum

Last edited by heybaylor; 02-02-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:32 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,283 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Don't have the answer for you but will say welcome from another mitten state rider. From the west MI area.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:10 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You aren't likely to find a spec with the forks assembled - it is always given with springs out and forks compressed.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:52 AM
01fxdxt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

I think now would be a good time to drain the old and fill with new correct amount,but that's just my thought.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:40 AM
DrewNJ
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree. Your kinda cooked for an easy fix. Pull the springs and compress the forks. It's really not that bad of a job.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:29 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

anyone ever look in the HD repair manual.. mine says to drain the forks and it tells you how to do it and then put in the amount listed for your/my bike.. it is in there... Had my Indy do it 3 yrs ago during the spring service,, seems like it said to refill with 13.5 oz of fork oil for mine (they are different amount for different bikes..??

He charged me a 1/2 hr labor to do it

And you don't have to remove the springs from the tubes.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:58 PM
Woolybugger
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, the bike has 576 miles on it. I just want to add a few ounces of oil and pump it a few times, then check the level. Seem pretty straight forward, but nobody seems to know the answer, and i mean nobody...even HD Service. So, it looks like i will need to go through the BS of emptying the forks, shooting myself in the head with the spring cap, measuring oz's of oil, pouring and spillling oil, repeating the procedure.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:30 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Woolybugger
Guys, the bike has 576 miles on it. I just want to add a few ounces of oil and pump it a few times, then check the level. Seem pretty straight forward, but nobody seems to know the answer, and i mean nobody...even HD Service. So, it looks like i will need to go through the BS of emptying the forks, shooting myself in the head with the spring cap, measuring oz's of oil, pouring and spillling oil, repeating the procedure.
Maybe I am missing something but, when you spilled them the caps were off correct? So all you need to to is remove the spring, compress the fork and measure the oil level - no need at all to know how much oil goes in, just add oil till the correct level is reached or use a large syringe with a measured length of hose - then overfill it and suck out the rest. That's essentially what the Race Tech tool does - it just costs more.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:34 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,549 Posts

Originally Posted by Woolybugger
I see you are a new member - miles are irrelevant.
You asked the question - you have been given the answer and even an option.
Just curious why was the cap off and fork out?

Quick Reply: Fork Oil Level Measurement