General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on air ride switches

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Opinions on air ride switches

So I ordered the CVO locking bag switch (p/n 71764-07) over a week ago and call into my dealer to see if it's in. The parts manager tells me the part isn't available until some time in March, hopefully, and no one in the USA has one available. That is the last piece to me buttoning everything up and wanted to go that way because it looked factory. At this point I just want to get something in there so I can button it up and be done with it but don't know what route to go. Round momentary switches drilled into holes in the blank plug in the fairing? Some other type of switch that will rocker up and down in the same switch? I'm searched out and my brain is fried. Opinions on what works well and looks good for a Street Glide?

Old 02-02-2015, 08:10 PM
Munkee
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used a switch under my seat within arms reach in an already existing hole perfect for it. . It was temp while I got the same cvo switch. I didn't want to drill out hole like you're contemplating. But it wasn't handy on the fly but was pretty cool because no one knew where it was hidden.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:40 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Munkee
I used a switch under my seat within arms reach in an already existing hole perfect for it. . It was temp while I got the same cvo switch. I didn't want to drill out hole like you're contemplating. But it wasn't handy on the fly but was pretty cool because no one knew where it was hidden.
I used one of those holes under the seat as well (on clutch side) to mount my pressure gauge. If I look down at my primary it is sitting right where the case and primary cover meet and about 1/2" above it. I put some black tubing over all the connections so it looks pretty damn cool if you ask me. There are a couple other holes I was looking at there and thought about a simple single pole double throw toggle switch with black boot on it. You definitely wouldn't see it if unless you were looking for it. It's all 1/8" and the attached picture doesn't have the tubing on it, obviously.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:17 AM
frankegd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I added two momentary, metal, weatherproof switches (black, also available in stainless steel) in the tank console. Found them on Ebay, about $8 for 5 of them shipped.
They look nice, are barely noticeable, very slim, and work well.

I also made a mount for the pressure gauge, screwed to the exposed frame behind second cylinder.

I hope that helps.
Thank you.
FrankEGD

Attached Thumbnails Opinions on air ride switches-20140907_121507.jpg   Opinions on air ride switches-20140910_162443.jpg  
Old 02-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by frankegd
I added two momentary, metal, weatherproof switches (black, also available in stainless steel) in the tank console. Found them on Ebay, about $8 for 5 of them shipped.
They look nice, are barely noticeable, very slim, and work well.

I also made a mount for the pressure gauge, screwed to the exposed frame behind second cylinder.

I hope that helps.
Thank you.
FrankEGD
I like the looks of that, very clean. On my gauge I've got it facing up instead of sideways so I'll be able to peek at it any time and not have to duck my head under. Don't know about drilling into the side of the cover though. With my luck I'd get a spark and ignite any type of fumes and up I'd go. Hahaha. Thanks for the idea.

Last edited by Bagger_Vance; 02-03-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:49 AM
frankegd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bagger_Vance
I like the looks of that, very clean. On my gauge I've got it facing up instead of sideways so I'll be able to peek at it any time and not have to duck my head under. Don't know about drilling into the side of the cover though. With my luck I'd get a spark and ignite any type of fumes and up I'd go. Hahaha. Thanks for the idea.
Nothing to worry about. There is plenty of space...

Thank you
FrankEGD

Attached Thumbnails Opinions on air ride switches-20140907_120741.jpg  
Old 02-04-2015, 10:51 AM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by frankegd
Nothing to worry about. There is plenty of space...

Thank you
FrankEGD
I'm not worried about the space in there but blowing myself up if there is an arc and any fumes escape. That's my luck all day, every day.