General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baffled by Baffles-

Old 02-02-2015, 05:13 PM
Slick-
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Baffled by Baffles-

I removed the exhaust tips off my 3 1/2 inch Screamin Eagle slip on's to replace them with some new one's. Just for S&G I removed the baffles, and am now wondering can I or should I drill these puppies out a bit for a little better sound? Pro's & Con's welcomed and GO-

Old 02-02-2015, 05:50 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

I've had screamin eagle exhaust on 2 or 3 bikes and what I did was take the baffles out and drilled all the holes bigger. On mine, when I took the baffles out, inside the muffler shell was a metal tube with holes drilled in it and between the that metal tube and the muffler shell was fiberglass wrapped around the metal tube. I used a long screwdriver and hammer and knocked the metal tube out with the fiberglass also. I left that out and put the baffles back in with the bigger holes. Didn't notice any difference in performance but they have a better, louder/deeper sound.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:03 PM
Slick-
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bdtaylor1979
I've had screamin eagle exhaust on 2 or 3 bikes and what I did was take the baffles out and drilled all the holes bigger. On mine, when I took the baffles out, inside the muffler shell was a metal tube with holes drilled in it and between the that metal tube and the muffler shell was fiberglass wrapped around the metal tube. I used a long screwdriver and hammer and knocked the metal tube out with the fiberglass also. I left that out and put the baffles back in with the bigger holes. Didn't notice any difference in performance but they have a better, louder/deeper sound.
bd, I just looked and it doesn't appear we have the same setup- but thanks for your input-

Old 02-02-2015, 07:15 PM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,528 Likes on 683 Posts

It really doesn't matter what we think, what do you think? Did you like the sound and performance before taking the baffles out? Did you want more noise? It's all about personal preference, but I don't like a LOUD exhaust. A nice rumble, sure, but not the drag pipes or mufflers with baffles removed. But hey, that's me. I have SE slip on's on my bike and I really like them. Just the right tone without being offensive (in my opinion).

Do what you want, not what other people want.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:53 AM
Slick-
Cruiser

Yes I'd love just a little bit more noise. Just looking for advise on how to-

Old 02-03-2015, 04:53 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick-
Yes I'd love just a little bit more noise. Just looking for advise on how to-
If you are looking for more Low & Mid Range Torque, you may want to consider something like the Thunder Torques. They are especially made for Slip-ons. With the Thunder Torques you can adjust the sound volume and tone until you find the sound that fits you best

Below is link where you can see more information.
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Thun...nserts_c57.htm

Also included is a video of five different bikes with Thunder Torques to let you hear how the sound.

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 02-03-2015, 05:16 PM
Grimmy
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your looking for a bit more sound and performance, then add a few more holes. Your performance will increase. If you run no baffles, performance will suffer at a certain rpm. Drag pipe lag, sound waves in your pipe traveling up and down the pipe will eventually match the opening of your exhaust valves. Performance suffers until your engine can over take the sound pulse. Baffles silence the pulse therefore performance gain. Me, I like loud pipes. Is it worth the loss in performance, sometimes. Some say you don't loose performance from drag pipes, but on every dyno run I've seen, you can see the lag. I know guys that have added a dozen or so holes in theirs. Very noticeable gain in power and sound.

Last edited by Grimmy; 02-03-2015 at 05:19 PM.