General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much is too much for a new rider?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 06:54 PM
Adam_the_car_guy
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is too much for a new rider?

I used to ride dirt bikes and such, and when my dad went away for a while, he left me his 97 Dyna glide. I already have my motorcycle permit, and am taking the MSF in a few weeks. I have no problem with the riding aspect because I have driven before, my only question has to be, "is 1340 CCA to much for a bike for someone who is not as experienced as some of you veterans?"

Old 02-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam_the_car_guy
I used to ride dirt bikes and such, and when my dad went away for a while, he left me his 97 Dyna glide. I already have my motorcycle permit, and am taking the MSF in a few weeks. I have no problem with the riding aspect because I have driven before, my only question has to be, "is 1340 CCA to much for a bike for someone who is not as experienced as some of you veterans?"
No I don't think it's too much. Don't get hung up on the numbers. You'll be fine as long as you get familiar with the bike.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:10 PM
Pimp Daddy
Cruiser
Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

My 94 Softail is my first bike. Not too much provided you get familiar with it as rwhisen said. Don't be embarrassed about taking it to an empty parking lot and drive around in circles first. Get to know the clutch and the low speed handling and you should be just fine.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:11 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Motorcycle permit - how old and how tall may be more improtant than the cc's.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:15 PM
Adam_the_car_guy
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 18, weigh 240 (play ALOT of sports and lift ALOT of weights) and am 6 feet even.

Another question that I have is; the sales manager at harley keeps trying to get me to trade talking about how my bike needs a lot of work (I am ASE certified and know its a load of bullshit), and that he would happily let me trade it in for a much newer model at no charge. (Keep in mind that the bike has about 7-8k worth of extra chrome on it because my dad bought it that way from a very wealthy man who didnt have much of a attachment to the bike). Is he just trying to get my bike and sell it to someone else, or does he really have my best interest at heart?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-03-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

He's doing what salesmen do, make money....

Old 02-03-2015, 07:21 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

I am 18, weigh 240 (play ALOT of sports and lift ALOT of weights) and am 6 feet even.
Should be good to go. Ride the back roads get comfortable and enjoy.
As far as trades - ride and enjoy and learn what is right for you before considering a change.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:35 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,183 Likes on 2,453 Posts

Another question that I have is; the sales manager at harley keeps trying to get me to trade talking about how my bike needs a lot of work (I am ASE certified and know its a load of bullshit), and that he would happily let me trade it in for a much newer model at no charge. (Keep in mind that the bike has about 7-8k worth of extra chrome on it because my dad bought it that way from a very wealthy man who didnt have much of a attachment to the bike). Is he just trying to get my bike and sell it to someone else, or does he really have my best interest at heart?
no, he has his wallet at heart. no sale, no groceries.

7-8k in chrome is worth about $1.50 at trade in. i don't know that he is looking to make an even trade for your bike for a newer one. maybe he is talking about trading with no money out of pocket for down payment (using your bike as the down payment)

being ase certified, you should be able to knock out the needed work (probably basic stuff, oil change, cleaning, tires, etc) and have a nice bike to ride. but like said, you should ride it a while first before making any major decisions. you'll soon find out what works for you and what doesn't. then you can buy stuff with your brain, instead of 'oooh, shiney'....

Old 02-03-2015, 08:40 PM
fxbrry
Road Captain
Received 255 Likes on 80 Posts

Wish I had a Harley at 18. Would have been easier to get the ladies.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:40 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

As for you, you'll be fine. Get comfortable, ride like you're invisible, and like they said above, don't be shy to practice.

As for the bike, I have a $600 a month payment after I put down $8k.. Is that good enough a reason to just enjoy yours? You're young. Let it Ride.

Quick Reply: How much is too much for a new rider?