General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Previous owner cancelled my Warranty.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 03:17 PM
GUERRERO
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Previous owner cancelled my Warranty.

Bought a used sportster couple years ago from a person which came with a extended warranty he purchased from harley. Did all paper work for the warranty transfer, which he and I signed. I recievd a letter that the warranty had been transferred to me couple weeks later, from the warranty company. Come to find out the previous owner went to the dealer couple months later and canceled it and he received a prorated refund from the dealer. Which I didnt even get a notice that it was canceled which how can some else can cancel it with it not being in their name is beyond me. Only found out is when I traded the bike, and tried canceling it myself recently. So the only thing I got from the dealer is that they messed up, too bad you not getting your $1400. Any suggestion what I can do, or who to go after dealer, warranty company or previous owner?

Old 02-06-2015, 03:20 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Remove the previous owners front teeth....With prejudice!

Old 02-06-2015, 03:27 PM
Kcdcltd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the previous owner is a POS. Just sayin.... You need to have a frank discussion and if the sale is documented on paper that it included the extended warranty then I would think he should be held liable. The paperwork that had the signatures of the transfer, was it something that was to be mailed to the warranty company so they would have record of the transfer? If not, I'm not sure how they would have you as the new owner with the warranty. Previous owner took advantage of someone.... Sorry, I did not catch that you had received notification from the warranty company. That should be enough to get the dealer principle, the warranty company involved as well. Typically the dealership cancels the warranty, then once the refund is issued it is passed onto the customer. Seems to me you had a legal right to the warranty that someone else profited from....It could be worth a call to an attorney.....

Last edited by Kcdcltd; 02-06-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Bigbob88
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe we just learned something!!!

Old 02-06-2015, 03:58 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,118 Likes on 2,674 Posts

He committed fraud which should have legal and other consequences. I would see that both criminal and civil actions were taken against him.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:59 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

If you have paperwork stating that you are the owner of the extended warranty, then the dealership has a legal obligation to pay you the refund.

It is the dealership's problem to get the money back from the previous owner, not yours.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:47 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Seems like your best recourse is a civil suit naming both the dealer and the previous owner. In kali with the amount stated it would stay in small calims court, no attorneys needed.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:25 PM
Don81
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
If you have paperwork stating that you are the owner of the extended warranty, then the dealership has a legal obligation to pay you the refund.

It is the dealership's problem to get the money back from the previous owner, not yours.
This

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Seems like your best recourse is a civil suit naming both the dealer and the previous owner. In kali with the amount stated it would stay in small calims court, no attorneys needed.
But since they will probaly give you the finger, this.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:10 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Small claims court.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:15 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

First, if the previous owner of the warranty signed documents transferring it to you, and at that time you got confirmation from the warranty company that the warranty was now in your name, the previous owner CANNOT cancel it.

So, if the warranty company accepted his cancellation request, they screwed up. Your first contact is with them. Send them copies of the original correspondence from them showing that the contract was now in your name.

See what they say.

Quick Reply: Previous owner cancelled my Warranty.