General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Payback Time...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 01:04 AM
Ratbike_Mike
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Payback Time...

So I've got this friend who I go back 25+ years with. Over that time we've helped each other out back and forth one way or another as old friends tend to do. For a few years now I've owed the guy about $1200 for covering my share of the rent when I was really down on my luck. He's been telling me not to worry about the money. You know, one of those "just be there if/when the time comes" kind of things. Cool. Sure. Whatever.

At any rate, we haven't been talking/hanging as much lately as we used to. I know he's been bothered recently by losing some closer friends (mostly just drama bullsh*t) and I don't get out much anymore since my little girl was born....

He's been out of of ride for a few years now, and although he definitely has some money to play with, he doesn't have 4 or 5 grand to throw away all at once. It's also basically the only thing that's been holding him back from getting patched and all that, which is something I know he would like. So I've decided this might be a good opportunity to pay the guy back and lifting some spirits for quite a few people all the way around by buying a project bike, cracking open some beers in the garage and helping him get it back on the road.

So the question is, what direction do I go with this project bike.

At first I thought maybe "rolling chassis" and going up from there, but then I remembered how f'n expensive that route was for me 10-15 years ago when I tried it that way. Now I'm thinking it'd be better to maybe get an old ironhead, brit bike maybe... something mostly or all there, needs a rebuild and a lot of TLC everywhere else, close to stock and can be modified as he wants to.

This isn't going to be anything big and fancy. Ending up with a solid running ratbike/bobber/chopper/whatever for a total investment of maybe $2500-3000 would make all of us happier than a pig in sh*t.

So give me some feedback on the approach, options, helpful tips, etc. if you'd like. It's why I posted this. Always open to it.

~Ratbike Mike

Old 02-07-2015, 01:48 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Check ebay & craigslist for abandoned project bikes.

I know this is suppose to be a surprise (why else would you let the world know by posting it on the Internet) but ask him what he would like. Maybe not directly but go to a motorcycle show and take mental notes what stands out to him.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:15 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd tell him. A surprise is great but if it's not really what he wants to ride for a long time, you've wasted a lot of time building something that he's going to sell or trade.... that's going to **** you off..... also, if his club requires a Harley of a minimum displacement you need to know that.

Besides, if he has a grand stuffed in the mattress, you've got a much better starting point. 1200 bucks is only going to buy you a big headache.

I hope it works out!

Old 02-07-2015, 05:25 AM
Ratbike_Mike
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah... I did think about telling him first. But he's one of those guys where if you tell him the plan beforehand he would just fight the whole thing insisting it doesn't have to be done. Dude is too much of a proud, stubborn, f'n Englishman to accept the offer and actually pick out a bike under such circumstances.

I figure the only way to really go about it is to unveil the project bike "as is" before any of the work begins, tell him what needs to be done, pick up a wrench and just get to it.

Any old Brit bike or Harley grabs his interest. HD if he were forced to make an actual choice. Given the budget involved, I figure we're probably looking at a 1000 or 1200 cc project shovel. He'd be perfectly happy with it, I'm sure. And if he isn't, with no work put into it yet I'd be just fine if he decided from the get go that he wanted to swap it for something else.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:10 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,339 Likes on 10,703 Posts

G'day mate.

GLAD u r looking at paying him back.........REALLY nice!!!

Is it possible to have someone else off the cuff, very casually and unsuspectingly ask IF he had the $ what bike would he really like? Kid of like a wish list thing.

You know, like another friend or parent or whomever where he would not expect a question like that or get suspicious?

Know what I mean?

BuzzCap7

Old 02-07-2015, 06:11 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,433 Likes on 4,131 Posts

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea what to look for as far as his tastes are concerned as a good starting point. Go for it. Sounds like a great way to rekindle that friendship.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:18 AM
maddawg57
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just return the 1,200.00 remember- ( CASK IS KING-) ,
take him out for a beer and some catching up ( good times )
and run the idea of the the bike by him,
then you with his input can make something happen,
you will both be on the same page a team thing -
i am sure what ever you do will be ok,

Old 02-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Boostn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maddawg57
Just return the 1,200.00 remember- ( CASK IS KING-) ,
take him out for a beer and some catching up ( good times )
and run the idea of the the bike by him,
then you with his input can make something happen,
you will both be on the same page a team thing -
i am sure what ever you do will be ok,
I agree. Just pay back and try restart friendship by sharing interests and maybe start a project together, so you guys have excuse to get together more often.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:07 AM
skyflyer
Road Captain
Received 126 Likes on 73 Posts

Ask him to help you pick out a project bike for you. Ask him for advice and help building it.

When its done tell him "oh by the way this is your bike"

Old 02-07-2015, 12:25 PM
Recycled
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Float the idea of putting a project together and if he likes the idea, then give him the cash to go towards it. I don't think he should be obligated to spend any or all of anything you pay back just because "you" think it is a good idea though.
A noble gesture on your part but...you do admit to owing him...so be thankful you are in a position to help out a good friend that was there for you when you needed a hand up.

Quick Reply: Payback Time...