General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona Bike Week Helpful Hints

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Daytona Bike Week Helpful Hints

It's that time of year. Bike Week begins in 2 weeks
I've attended Bike Week and Biketoberfest for decades.
The last couple of years I've posted some hints for those that are going for the first few times.
Some of the advice will keep you out of trouble, some of it may just help a bit (to not look like a newb).

What Not To Do: (according to police I’ve chatted with)
- Breaking the back tire lose.
- Pulling the front wheel off the ground. (mandatory $1000 fine)
- Speeding 30 mph over speed limit. Mandatory court appearance, possible loss of license.
- No eye protection or wearing sunglasses at night. Yes, they look and why give them a reason to pull you over.
- Your license plate has to be stationary. If your plate is mounted so that it can swing, it is a violation. (mostly crotch rockets)
- Handlebars above the shoulders is a violation. (I’ve only ever seen it enforced once, but it cost my buddy)

Overall, I’ve always found the Daytona police to be very cool and hands off. They are used to dealing with huge crowds. Bikeweek, Biketoberfest, 2 Nascar races, Spring Break etc. Don’t act like an *** and you won’t be treated like one.

Some Hints:
- You don’t have the loudest bike there. Don’t be a dick throttle jockey.
- I don’t know you; I don’t know your skills. Don’t ride next to me or anyone else you don’t know. Stop lights and stop signs are the exception.
- Always park backing in on Main Street. Park as close to the bike next to you as you can. Don’t be the hated dick that takes enough room for 2 bikes.
- When you back your bike up on Main Street, tell princess to get off the back first. That way she can help you push your bike over the curb to park, and you are less likely to lose your balance and drop your bike on the bike next to you.
- By all means buy a t-shirt, but wait until you’re home or when you come back another year to wear it.

Must See:
- ******* Tropical Tattoo Bike Show. The best garage builds you will ever see. Very casual, and the beer is cold.
- Boot Hill Saloon (It’s better before and after bikeweek)
- Iron Horse Saloon (go in the evening and have the steak and tators)
- Ride The Loop. Everyone has to do it once. When you pass the photographers, look at your watch and remember the time. It will help you find your pic online later.
- Destination Daytona, motorcycle retailing on steroids. (not my thing, but to each their own)
- The Cabbage Patch cole slaw wrestling. A rite of passage. Seeing them make the cole slaw is as interesting as the wrestling, but I still show up. (I’d ride 15 miles to see a train wreck too…)

If you have questions, ask.
If you have other suggestions, post them.

Most Important:
RIDE SAFELY and BE CAREFUL!
The worst sound during bike week is the ambulance siren. You hear it far too often during the week.

Last edited by Jonesee; 02-20-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:19 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Good pointers to which I agree to all but one. When I park, I don't care if someone doesn't like if I park too far away from the next bike. I've had guys park so close to me that I could barely upright my bike enough to raise my jiffy stand. And on one occasion when trying to upright my bike, the damn pointed tips of the dudes mirror dug into my tour pac. I have over 40 grand in my bike and don't enjoy seeing any damage. For this reason, my bike and other vehicles get parked out in the outskirts of the parking lots. But if I need to park my bike near others, I take my needed real estate.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:23 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Good pointers to which I agree to all but one. When I park, I don't care if someone doesn't like if I park too far away from the next bike. I've had guys park so close to me that I could barely upright my bike enough to raise my jiffy stand. And on one occasion when trying to upright my bike, the damn pointed tips of the dudes mirror dug into my tour pac. I have over 40 grand in my bike and don't enjoy seeing any damage. For this reason, my bike and other vehicles get parked out in the outskirts of the parking lots. But if I need to park my bike near others, I take my needed real estate.
If you are more comfortable on the outskirts of parking lots, Main St in Daytona isn't for you.
I've seen them so tight you had to lean your bike backing in and pulling out.
Like all parties, the more the merrier...

Last edited by Jonesee; 02-20-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:01 PM
ramblin5
Road Master

Received 217 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
If you are more comfortable on the outskirts of parking lots, Main St in Daytona isn't for you.
I've seen them so tight you had to lean your bike backing in and pulling out.
Like all parties, the more the merrier...
How the heck did you do a BBG in under 21 hours? You averaged 73.23 mph and that is with no gas stops. At 35mpg you used 44 gal of gas - so you stopped at least 6 times (assuming you had a 1-2gal auxiliary tank) at 5 min per stop is another 30 min - so your average mph while on the bike was 75mph. Well, now that I put it like that I guess it can be done. I've done a couple of 16 hr 1000 milers and a 47 hour 50cc but have always thought the BBG was the most challenging of the short rides. Congrats!

Old 02-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ramblin5
How the heck did you do a BBG in under 21 hours? You averaged 73.23 mph and that is with no gas stops. At 35mpg you used 44 gal of gas - so you stopped at least 6 times (assuming you had a 1-2gal auxiliary tank) at 5 min per stop is another 30 min - so your average mph while on the bike was 75mph. Well, now that I put it like that I guess it can be done. I've done a couple of 16 hr 1000 milers and a 47 hour 50cc but have always thought the BBG was the most challenging of the short rides. Congrats!
The short answer is:
Sit, Twist, Refuel Repeat

The ride report is here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...s-57-mins.html

Yes, the BBG is considered an "extreme ride" by the IBA.

If you have specific questions, just ask.

Last edited by Jonesee; 02-20-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

The Main St. parking thing- yes that little curb intimidates some people, but someone always jumps in to help push them in. Every so often someone gets pushed into one of those giant flowerpot things or a pole while backing in- that sucks.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:49 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

When you park at Destination at 9am remember the parking lot will not look the same a few hours later. If you have a black Streetglide good luck finding it!!

Old 02-20-2015, 09:47 PM
meguide
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always park in the dirt lot on the side street by Boot Hill. $5.00 and there is always ample parking and space between the bikes.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:21 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 518 Likes on 267 Posts

Only the tourists go to Main st. during bike week.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:27 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bestrafen
Only the tourists go to Main st. during bike week.
Recommendations?

Quick Reply: Daytona Bike Week Helpful Hints