General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Law Defeated in New Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 10:46 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Helmet Law Defeated in New Mexico

Well the idgits in the statehouse voted down yet another bill to require helmets be worn in New Mexico. An interesting provision in the bill was that you could pay for a sticker opting out of the mandatory law by paying $700.
Hows that for blatant greedy money grabbing?

Old 02-25-2015, 10:49 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

Just another "Nanny State" just like Nebraska has become.

I always wear a helmet, but that's should be my choice only and not required.

Last edited by Bluraven; 02-25-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:08 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I wear one too. Keeps my head warm in the winter and the bugs off of my face the rest of the time.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:20 AM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,460 Likes on 5,663 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I always were a helmet, but that's should be my choice only and not required.
Agreed. I wear one 95% of the time. It keeps the big bald spot on the top of my head from sun-burning.

Nanny states suck.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:09 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Well the idgits in the statehouse voted down yet another bill to require helmets be worn in New Mexico...
I'm confused... You think they're "idgits" for voting down the bill? IOW, you're in favor of requiring helmets?

Old 02-25-2015, 12:11 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

It appears the insurance lobbyists failed this time in NM. They won't give up.

Just like seat belt laws, helmet laws suck. States don't give a fat rat's **** about the safety of drivers and riders, but they passionately care how fat their wallets are, though.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:37 PM
dezriderex
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet law did not pass in New Mexico

SANTA FE (KRQE) – Motorcycle riders in New Mexico can continue riding without a helmet after a Senate committee blocked a proposed law requiring all riders to strap them on before hitting the road.
According to the Santa Fe New Mexican, the committee blocked the proposed law on a vote of 4-3 on Tuesday.
This past weekend, riders stormed the capital city in protest of the upcoming law.
Another bill was also shot down. It would have created a loophole to allow riders 18 and older to opt out of the helmet law if they bought a nearly $700 registration sticker.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:17 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

In Michigan, I believe the law states you must wear a helmet unless you can prove you have medical coverage that will pay your bills if you fall when not wearing one.

They do not care if you wear a helmet or not, however are tired of paying the very expensive medical bills that could have been prevented if the biker was wearing head protection.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:51 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Well the idgits in the statehouse voted down yet another bill to require helmets be worn in New Mexico. An interesting provision in the bill was that you could pay for a sticker opting out of the mandatory law by paying $700.
Hows that for blatant greedy money grabbing?
Your bitch'n because they didn't take your right to choose away?!? I'm thinking you don't correctly know who the "idgits" are. I'd love to have the choice on whether I'll wear a helmet today or not. It' s not like they are saying you can't wear one....WTF?

Sounds kinda like they aren't doing any "greedy money grabbing" either, since they voted that down. Are you sure you understand what's going on correctly or are you accidentally reversing in your mind what is actually happening?

Last edited by gotnspikes; 02-25-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:31 PM
Superrust
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A helmet law with the ability to hold a permit allowing you to not wear, simply means you'll continue to get pulled over. You may not receive a ticket but the annoyance of getting pulled over will have you wearing a helmet.

I also agree, insurance companies simply want to keep money in their pockets at the expense of new laws which in some way negatively impact riders. Money first, safety second.

Quick Reply: Helmet Law Defeated in New Mexico