General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get a project

Old 02-26-2015, 05:59 PM
COWheeler
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get a project

Ok, so here is the issue I face every year: zero time but a pretty good chunk of change floating around all spring, summer, and fall. Then in winter the money isn't hardly coming in, but I have a ton of time at home...

I want to get into a position to pick up a bike or two here and there while I'm gone, then wrench on them when I'm home over the winter. Being in Colorado, makes it hard to ride a ton anyway, so I figured a project would keep me out of the wife's hair haha.

Here is what I see as options

A) I have a friend of a friend with a dealers license, and for a $300 commission, I can use his dealers license to buy whatever I want at auction

B) I can jump through the hoops and go after my own wholesalers license. That way I can buy bikes, cars, or whatever else I want to, and from what I see, I can buy out of state. The appeal of this option is most of the year I'm working down south or on the east coast, which means I have access to a lot more for auctions and such

I'm not necessarily looking to make a living going this route, but I wouldn't mind being able to flip some stuff when I'm home. If it turned out I could afford not to work, that would be great, but highly unlikely, and I know that. What I'm really looking for is input, advice, or other ideas floating around. I'm on Craigslist 4-6 times a day at least, but just haven't seen much that is a deal of any kind in the last 3-4 months

Old 02-26-2015, 06:05 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Good luck, I'm kinda looking for a project too.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:19 PM
COWheeler
6th Gear

There just doesn't seem to be much out there, even this time of year

Old 02-26-2015, 06:23 PM
TheMakani
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

COWheeler: are you required to have a dealers license for auction purchases? I've contemplated checking out the auctions but have stuck with CL so far.
i live in hawaii and have no dealer license but go through about 6-10 trucks/ bikes a year. I'm not sure what the laws are regarding selling cars but i go to the same DMV every month or so with a new toy and they haven't said anything. like you i spend a ton of time on CL (check it at least twice an hour, i know I'm addicted) and can usually find some good stuff. my personal advice is to stick with CL. it sounds like you are looking for a hobby that you can make some money off of, which is what i like to do. what i like to do on CL is send people super low cash offers and tell them if they don't find a buyer they can come to me whenever and ill have the cash ready for them. usually they'll look around for a couple weeks and then contact me. also, since you're not trying to find something for yourself you have more flexibility on what project you buy. personally i buy and sell toyota trucks because i know there is always a market for them.
i live in hawaii where people are constantly moving to and from so there are a lot of vehicles readily available. I'm not sure how the used vehicle market is in colorado so idk if my ideas are applicable.
as far as paying your friend, i don't see that benefiting you. the projects i pick up are usually in the 2500-5000 range so paying 10% of my total cost to use a friends license seems too expensive for me.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:41 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Just two words; Swap Meet.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:05 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Just two words; Swap Meet.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:12 PM
COWheeler
6th Gear

I'm pretty sure for all the insurance auctions you need a dealers license. And as far as deals I just haven't seen much. I'm not exactly in a buy todY position, but since I have the time, I'm trying to get a general plan together.

And as far as swap meets, we really only have two here a year, and they both just passed... When I go back out on the road I'll keep my eyes open, as well as check the local ABATE chapter websites, as well as HOG chapters sites

Old 02-26-2015, 07:28 PM
katanaplanet
Banned
Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

I buy from Copart previuosly crashed toys. A lot of states you can buy without license. The ones which require, you can use one of their registered dealers for a $200 transaction fee. Real easy and plenty of good deals.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:21 PM
COWheeler
6th Gear

Katana, how does all that work exactly? I looked at it, but it didn't add up in my head? You've used them with success???

Old 02-26-2015, 10:21 PM
COWheeler
6th Gear

Also, what are you buying? And what are you paying? Roughly of course. I know each case is different

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to get a project