General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question Sturgis regulars...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:24 PM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question Sturgis regulars...

This year will be my first ever rally, (I am camping at the AFB, so don't worry, I'll be okay…) but I have a few general questions if you can be of assistance.
1. I have a '03 Deuce; 1550cc SE CVO and I would like to get some help in trying out, and/or buying a PCIII or whatever so I can 'make my own map' and adjust as necessary as mods progress…..
2. Are there reputable 'dealers' at the rally who would be happy to take my money…?
3. Any dyno tuners..?
4. Any 'live' tuning done by installing a software mapping module on the spot..?
5. Any other useful 'goodies' that would be available..? (I have all the t-shirts I need)…
6. Are there any scheduled events, and if so, is there a brochure or handout.?
Thanks all… see you there

Old 02-27-2015, 05:36 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by PTSDBob
This year will be my first ever rally, (I am camping at the AFB, so don't worry, I'll be okay…) but I have a few general questions if you can be of assistance.
1. I have a '03 Deuce; 1550cc SE CVO and I would like to get some help in trying out, and/or buying a PCIII or whatever so I can 'make my own map' and adjust as necessary as mods progress…..
2. Are there reputable 'dealers' at the rally who would be happy to take my money…?
3. Any dyno tuners..?
4. Any 'live' tuning done by installing a software mapping module on the spot..?
5. Any other useful 'goodies' that would be available..? (I have all the t-shirts I need)…
6. Are there any scheduled events, and if so, is there a brochure or handout.?
Thanks all… see you there
Yes to all. The Harley dealer in Rapid City has a huge vendor area where every vendor under the sun is represented. If you have ever been to Daytona Bike Week, the same deal except with much better riding!

Old 02-27-2015, 05:47 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

^^Agree^^^, but this year's anniversary event will be "uber-crowded" so be prepared to be disappointed w/scheduling all this...

Old 02-27-2015, 06:24 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Give some thought to going a week early...You can still stay for the party/Sturgis experiance but you can get to the dealer and get done what you want and also get a chance to get in some nice riding without the crowds...
Thats my game plan this year...Time will tell!! Good Luck!!!

Old 02-27-2015, 06:31 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,964 Likes on 21,318 Posts

Probably better to find someone in your own area that is reputable rather than running into someone out here who is just here temporarily that you won't see again.
That way if something needs tweeked you can always take it back to them.
It is good to have a working relationship with a tuner where you reside.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Frank Dukes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

agreed. i would want that done locally and before i headed out on a long trip. you should definitely be able to find some one in San Diego aka whales vagina that would help you with that.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:11 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Ditto everyones replies so far. I will be there a week early and staying south of Rapid City, then ride with friends during the rally. Should be great!

Old 02-27-2015, 01:06 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Dyno tuning is the sort of thing best done where you can return for corrective work just in case the first run thru is a little off. Same goes for the guys who sell and install their stuff at the rally. For parts or add-ons, unless you get a rare really great deal, you can probably do better on the net. Anyway, many exhibitors are there just to show their stuff and answer questions. Many are worth talking to.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:16 PM
Apendejo
Road Warrior
Received 522 Likes on 295 Posts

Don't think I would have any mechanical work done at Sturgis other than emergency. They are in a hurry because they have people waiting in line behind you.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:17 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Dyno Jet will be there with there Dyno trailer, Pat Daniels is one of the best when it comes to tuning and he is the one who will be running the dyno truck.

Quick Reply: Question Sturgis regulars...