General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ear Buds while riding--legal/safe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 05:43 AM
Bird-man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ear Buds while riding--legal/safe?

There is another thread going on which to wear, but I wanted input on other aspects.

First of all, I was under the impression it was illegal to wear ear buds while driving. Not that that would stop me, but just wondering.

Secondly, with the sound canceling aspect of these ear buds, and then music being piped directly into your ears, don't you worry about not hearing necessary sounds...traffic, sirens, engine noise in case something is going wrong, horns, etc?

I have thought about wearing my ear buds. I like them because I already have tinnitus, and I find I can enjoy music with earbuds at a much lower volume and hear the sound quality much better. But I am nervous to try to wear them in traffic.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:53 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Id' say if it makes you nervous dont do it. I'm more inclined to wear then when I'm on a long open cruise then I am when having to deal with traffic.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:12 AM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

It's not legal to wear headphones in Va. and if I understand the law correctly, it would only be illegal if both ears were covered (or plugged). I'm guessing that some of your concerns are what led the law to be passed in the first place.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:23 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

PA state trooper once told me that they're illegal. I didn't get pulled over --- we just happened to be at the same place getting gas, and I asked, "hey, I got a question for you." I don't wear them because I can hear my stereo just fine, and I like to hear the pipes too --- not to mention a siren that wants to go through a side street stop sign that I might be getting to. I like to be able to hear "outside noise."

Old 02-27-2015, 06:41 AM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

City riding, ear buds I don't do it, I like to hear like others have stated, sirens, horns, brakes squealing not that we shouldn't be aware of all that is going on around us without the audible cues, but I do find it distracting when in city traffic. Out on the highway definitely wear them, not only do they act as earplugs (as long as you don't play the sound to loud) they provide you music crisp and clear. Just my .02 cents.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:58 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,402 Likes on 21,386 Posts

It might void your warranty?

Old 02-27-2015, 07:25 AM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check your state laws and make sure you carry a copy of it with you. And with that said, I know of a rider who did and was still cited -- went to court and the judge went with his feeling and not the law and still had the ticket stand.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:44 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Here's the list by state - that being said, I still wear theme here in Colorado http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/headsets/

Old 02-27-2015, 07:53 AM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
Here's the list by state - that being said, I still wear theme here in Colorado http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/headsets/
Interestingly enough many of the same states that have restrictions on headsets/ earbuds also have more restrictive gun laws, think there is a trend happening here.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:59 AM
Jaachap
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is a fact that riding with the wind howling in your ear for prolonged periods of time will cause hearing loss......along of course with old age!
I actually can hear better with ear plugs put in loosely, it cuts the sound of the wind, I can hear everything going on still, music is always low. To each's own however, every state has different law on this, here in the **** state of NJ.....they are illegal, I personally don't GAF, I see plenty of cops driving squad cars on cell phones.......
J

Quick Reply: Ear Buds while riding--legal/safe?