General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the best way to Cleanup an older bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:06 PM
JKOSICAN
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best way to Cleanup an older bike

I recently picked up an 01 FatBoy in Jade Green. The bike was well kept but it wasn't washed and detailed a lot. I would like to clean it up without tearing the bike apart. I have seen suggestions of washing it with Simple Green to degrease and cut through the grime. I have also seen the suggestion of using Pledge as a wax/polish/protectant on all of the metal parts including the engine. What would be best for the leather parts? Is pledge really the way to go? Anything to avoid or beware of with the Simple Green? What will work best to get those big disk rims looking new?

Old 02-27-2015, 08:14 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Congratulations on your new bike and welcome to the Harley family.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:25 PM
JKOSICAN
5th Gear

Thank you. I have been riding Crotch Rockets for years. Had I known how much better this was I would have started here and never gone the other way.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:33 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

dont take it and Hi-pressure wash it...... some SG in a bucket of hot water will do 95% of it the first time with a mitt or sponge.. then a second time to get almost 100% of it....

then a light hosing off followed off by a Leaf blower to dry it off...

then I use a good wax.. Any good Auto was will be fine,, and any good Chrome auto Polish for the Bling..

in between I use any good Auto Detail polish to keep it touched up between the waxings..

Please Google what to use to clean a motorcycle... and you'll get K's and K's of what and how to clean your bike..

Old 02-27-2015, 08:34 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

I do older bikes as my hobby - buy, clean/repair, ride, and sell.
Simple Green full strength on engine - trans and let it sit a while, then - 1/2 strength on everything else. Use a brush on the engine & trans, wheels and tires, and a micro-fiber rag on everything else. After that you can see what you really have and polish, replace, or paint. Wish you the best.
I've heard of Pledge but not for me - S-100 or a quality wax. I S-100 tins, rims, chrome, lights, and even the windshields. Makes for easy cleanup after rides.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:12 PM
JKOSICAN
5th Gear

Thank you both. I may try the Pledge just once but have always been a fan of the Mothers products for my cars. Never had to worry about chrome and leather before.

Last edited by JKOSICAN; 02-27-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:52 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JKOSICAN
Thank you both. I may try the Pledge just once but have always been a fan of the Mothers products for my cars. Never had to worry about chrome and leather before.
Instead of Pledge try a good acrylic floor polish. Pledge may be good for wood furniture but on metal or painted surfaces... not so much. Also make sure the bike has cooled off before you clean it. You probably could not go wrong with Mothers or another high end automotive cleaner/polishing product as well.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Old 02-28-2015, 12:29 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

After cleaning you need to use a good wax rubbed in good. Pledge is okay for quick detailing but not good with sealing and protecting paint.
Use the pledge for a quick waterless cleaning. That is all its good for.
I use mcquires scratch x2.0 instead of waxing then I use polish, good type.

I agree pledge doesn't excite me, not for me either.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:38 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

Best way to clean the bike--put on some good tunes, crack open a brewski, and spend a Friday or Saturday night under the bike with just a rag & some detail spray. very therapeautic.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:50 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

After washing the bike I find a detailing clay bar does a very good job on the tins with older paint that's not been detailed in a while. Also a fine polish before a wax with make the tank and fenders glass-like.

Quick Reply: Whats the best way to Cleanup an older bike