General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearwater LED Light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 04:27 PM
classof96
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Clearwater LED Light?

Anyone using them? They sound good but the price is heavy, of course compared to hitting an obstacle they would be worth it. I don't ride at dark much anymore but I really want to get an IBA number and in order to do that I will have to ride during darkness. They seem to be popular with the IBA(I'll get a number some day), BMW's, Kaw's etc. Wondering about interfacing with a Harley and mounting them for best illumination. The recommended mounting is the higher the better, but for a dresser, the natural spot to mount would be on the crash bar. A guy could fab a mount off the handlebars, but I would have to do a bit of D&S(Drink & Stare) Engineering for that.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:54 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Link to a thread in ADV Riders...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848904

Old 03-01-2015, 05:47 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by classof96
Anyone using them? They sound good but the price is heavy, of course compared to hitting an obstacle they would be worth it. I don't ride at dark much anymore but I really want to get an IBA number and in order to do that I will have to ride during darkness. They seem to be popular with the IBA(I'll get a number some day), BMW's, Kaw's etc. Wondering about interfacing with a Harley and mounting them for best illumination. The recommended mounting is the higher the better, but for a dresser, the natural spot to mount would be on the crash bar. A guy could fab a mount off the handlebars, but I would have to do a bit of D&S(Drink & Stare) Engineering for that.

If you are not willing to include a link, I am not willing to do your research for you....

Old 03-01-2015, 06:07 PM
classof96
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey PFWiz, I'm not asking for you or anyone else to do research, that's what I'm doing. When I am questioning about something, I hope that people answer from personal experience.

You know what PFWiz, unless people like you have been there and done it, shut the hell up.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:27 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They look great, but they sure are proud of them!!

Old 03-02-2015, 08:21 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by classof96
Hey PFWiz, I'm not asking for you or anyone else to do research, that's what I'm doing. When I am questioning about something, I hope that people answer from personal experience.

You know what PFWiz, unless people like you have been there and done it, shut the hell up.
Don't you want to bitch at Steve? He apparently doesn't have a set of them either. How dare he (like me) voice his opinion! Who does he think he is? Or are you only going to use that arguement against people who think you are lazy?

Old 03-02-2015, 09:12 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

I had Clearwater Glenda's on my 2009 BMWGS so I can share my thoughts on them. These are the small lights and they came complete with mounts and all wiring. Everything is top shelf. The mounts were machined aluminum then anodized, silver soldered wiring and everything fit and went together perfectly. The lights mounted down on the lower fork sliders which was ideal because I wanted these lights mostly for conspicuity and they, along with the headlight, present a 3-light triangle. Unlike a LED headlight (Trucklight etc) these do not have a sharp cutoff, they blast straight forward expanding out sort of like a funnel backwards. That's why they're so noticeable to other traffic.

A very useful feature is the low beam dimmer because the lights are so bright. The lights are always on when the bike is running. With the headlight on low beam the lights can be set to whatever brightness you want with the rotary dimmer. Full brightness is annoyingly bright to oncoming traffic even in the day time so I adjusted it to about 50% in daylight. At night I had to further lower it to 25%. No matter where it is set when you click your headlight to high beam the Glenda's go to full intensity and really light up the road.

My current BMW came with LED running lights otherwise I'd be buying Glenda's for it. I've considered replacing the passing lamps on the RK with bigger ones (Krista's?) but probably won't because I really don't ride much at night and the stock lights are ok for my use after they were programed to stay on with high and low beam.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:17 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,116 Likes on 2,674 Posts

Why would you need a link if you're familiar with them?

anywho......

Old 03-02-2015, 12:28 PM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Don't you want to bitch at Steve? He apparently doesn't have a set of them either. How dare he (like me) voice his opinion! Who does he think he is? Or are you only going to use that arguement against people who think you are lazy?
Because I ride a Road Glide - oh wait....