General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viking Lamear Slanted Bags....Nice!

Old 03-01-2015, 07:03 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Viking Lamear Slanted Bags....Nice!

Lamellar Slanted Leather covered bags....http://www.vikingbags.com/harley-sof...11419-prd1.htm

There was some discussion last week about Viking bags so I thought I'd post this update. You can read it here... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...my-deluxe.html

Yesterday I received the Lamellar Slanted bags and got them mounted today. Having had Viking bags in the past with the quick disconnect mounting system I was familiar with how to mount the hardware, so the whole process took less than an hour. As with most things, there's always a surprise. All good in this case. After getting the bags mounted I'm extremely pleased with how they match the flow of the curve of the rear fender. Even to the little kick at the bottom. And they are larger than the photos had led me to believe. Yes, I read the dimensions but seeing them in place was different. I would have liked them mounted just a bit lower but the shape of the top and the space of the curve prevented it.

I had commented previously that one thing I disliked about my previous Viking bags was each bag and each side of the QD mount had seperate keys. A total of 4 to keep up with. Well, Viking must have listened to all the complaints because I now only have 2 keys. One that opens both bags and one that locks/unlocked both QD mounts.

Another surprise was that you have to use the key to open the bags. I was expecting there to be a push button sort of latch where the lock was. This was upsetting at first, I was just thinking what a PITA that would be. But after thinking about it, I don't think it's going to be that big a deal. For one, less moving parts is just something else that can't cause problems down the road. I always have my keys on my belt so I won't have to dig for a key.

Here's a few pics....

Last edited by DeeRides; 03-01-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Pistonman1
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

They look good, not too sure about the reflector.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:12 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

They look GREAT... Nice lines....

Old 03-01-2015, 09:32 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pistonman1
They look good, not too sure about the reflector.
LOL! I KNEW someone would have something to say about those reflectors!

Old 03-01-2015, 09:55 PM
InnishMoor
Tourer
Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Those are real sharp looking, Dee. A great choice for your bike. I agree, the lines really complement the curve of the fender and I do like how high they sit. Nicely done!

I.M.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:40 PM
Viking Bags
Former Sponsor
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeRides
Lamellar Slanted Leather covered bags....http://www.vikingbags.com/harley-sof...11419-prd1.htm

There was some discussion last week about Viking bags so I thought I'd post this update. You can read it here... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...my-deluxe.html

Yesterday I received the Lamellar Slanted bags and got them mounted today. Having had Viking bags in the past with the quick disconnect mounting system I was familiar with how to mount the hardware, so the whole process took less than an hour. As with most things, there's always a surprise. All good in this case. After getting the bags mounted I'm extremely pleased with how they match the flow of the curve of the rear fender. Even to the little kick at the bottom. And they are larger than the photos had led me to believe. Yes, I read the dimensions but seeing them in place was different. I would have liked them mounted just a bit lower but the shape of the top and the space of the curve prevented it.

I had commented previously that one thing I disliked about my previous Viking bags was each bag and each side of the QD mount had seperate keys. A total of 4 to keep up with. Well, Viking must have listened to all the complaints because I now only have 2 keys. One that opens both bags and one that locks/unlocked both QD mounts.

Another surprise was that you have to use the key to open the bags. I was expecting there to be a push button sort of latch where the lock was. This was upsetting at first, I was just thinking what a PITA that would be. But after thinking about it, I don't think it's going to be that big a deal. For one, less moving parts is just something else that can't cause problems down the road. I always have my keys on my belt so I won't have to dig for a key.

Here's a few pics....

Bags look great! happy to hear that you are satisfied with the product.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:22 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Not my cup of tea. But they do look good on your set-up. I prefer the ability to get into a bag without having to get off the bike. Do they require two keys, one for each bag? That was an issue for a while with some of the bags Viking sold.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:25 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great Looking bags, much nicer than my Thor Braided bags on my 2009 XL883. I also have the QD brackets. My question to you is: Did you have any issues with the mounting of your Sissy Bar along side the QD brackets? Was there enough clearance without major issues?

I look forward to your reply and any handy hints or Sissy Bar brand name that would be an easier fit. Feel free to respond via private message if you like... Thanks, Str8chuter

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Wll".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Last edited by Str8chuter; 03-02-2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: addl info and clarity
Old 03-02-2015, 10:49 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Not my cup of tea. But they do look good on your set-up. I prefer the ability to get into a bag without having to get off the bike. Do they require two keys, one for each bag? That was an issue for a while with some of the bags Viking sold.
No, they only require one key. I guess Viking listened to all the complaints about separate keys for each bag. Now I one key for the bags and one key for the QD mounts.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:59 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Str8chuter
Great Looking bags, much nicer than my Thor Braided bags on my 2009 XL883. I also have the QD brackets. My question to you is: Did you have any issues with the mounting of your Sissy Bar along side the QD brackets? Was there enough clearance without major issues?

I look forward to your reply and any handy hints or Sissy Bar brand name that would be an easier fit. Feel free to respond via private message if you like... Thanks, Str8chuter

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Wll".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's
No problem at all with the sissy bar bracket. It's just the standard HD bracket and is mounted behind the Viking QD hardware. My DH made my sissy bar using 1/2" twisted square stock. It slides into the bracket easily and is tightened with set screws. If you'd like specific pics, or other info, just let me know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Viking Lamear Slanted Bags....Nice!