General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter won't quit..'86 FLHTC

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 11:34 AM
Donn 86 flhtc
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter won't quit..'86 FLHTC

Starter Relay Sticking??? I can't even find the thing to replace it. I turn on ignition, hit starter button, motor turns over until I pull Battery Cable...Turning off Ignition doesn't stop it..Starter Button isn't stuck...changed starter solenoid...After I pull Battery Cable and reconnect, starter is not cranking until I turn on ignition and hit starter button again...

Old 03-02-2015, 01:40 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,589 Posts

First things first.

I'd suggest that you disassemble to starter button assembly and check it carefully before assuming anything.

I had a '92 (new) Heritage that was doing the same things as your bike.
I disassembled the starter button assembly on it, could not find anything that would cause the problem, then reassembled it, and to this day (my cousin still has that bike) has never had that problem again!

It's possible that you may have a solenoid/starter issue (H-D had recalls on some bikes for this issue), but the chances are that it's a wiring/ground issue that you will just have to take the time to locate.

These bikes vibrate which can cause things to come loose and many times the wiring can break or the insulation can wear off and then your have "ground" where you don't need it, or in other cases, a loss of power, which is just as bad.

Good luck.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:48 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Solenoid contacts are probably sticking on one that old even if the Solenoids new and thats caused by the brushes being about gone where they ride on the armature in the starter , it's common. What happens is they start drawing ever more amps as the brushes wear out and it's starts burning the contact surfaces on the armature, if I remember right that model still has the old shovelhead type starter on it and that's the most common failure on those.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 03-02-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:26 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Because its a starter not a quitter!

Old 03-02-2015, 10:00 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Donn 86 flhtc
Starter Relay Sticking??? I can't even find the thing to replace it. I turn on ignition, hit starter button, motor turns over until I pull Battery Cable...Turning off Ignition doesn't stop it..Starter Button isn't stuck...changed starter solenoid...After I pull Battery Cable and reconnect, starter is not cranking until I turn on ignition and hit starter button again...

Cant find it ?? the solenoid is piggybacked to the starter.
It is the one with two screws/bolts on the end .
disco the batt, pull the two screws/bolts . remove cover , pull the armature,
look at it and the contacts. both are probably burnt, pitted bad and maybe stuck together..
either clean/burnish them smooth, or replace.
good to go

Old 03-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Donn 86 flhtc
Stage IV

Originally Posted by heybaylor
Cant find it ?? the solenoid is piggybacked to the starter.
It is the one with two screws/bolts on the end .
disco the batt, pull the two screws/bolts . remove cover , pull the armature,
look at it and the contacts. both are probably burnt, pitted bad and maybe stuck together..
either clean/burnish them smooth, or replace.
good to go
I can't find the starter RELAY....I replaced solenoid...will pull armature and inspect...thanx

Old 03-02-2015, 11:07 PM
Donn 86 flhtc
Stage IV

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Solenoid contacts are probably sticking on one that old even if the Solenoids new and thats caused by the brushes being about gone where they ride on the armature in the starter , it's common. What happens is they start drawing ever more amps as the brushes wear out and it's starts burning the contact surfaces on the armature, if I remember right that model still has the old shovelhead type starter on it and that's the most common failure on those.
looking at starter closer...thanx

Old 03-02-2015, 11:21 PM
tommyglide
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The relay on my 85 fxef was underneath, a bitch to find and get at without a lift table. It was an automotive style relay, lasted many years. Had that Hitatchi starter rebuilt for a hundred bucks and things were fine. Good luck

Old 03-03-2015, 02:44 AM
rotorh60
Intermediate

Don, if it's an older FLH the relay will be located just below the fuse panel under the side cover. Starter Relay is inexpensive. I've had the same thing happen on my 2000 FLHTCUI. I unplugged the wire to the starter solenoid to "fix" it until I could get a relay. Plug in, and start the bike. Pull the connector, and ride. I got to a shop a week later, and replaced it. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:21 AM
Donn 86 flhtc
Stage IV

Thanx for advice everyone...I found/replaced Starter Relay..It was under Oil Tank Cover...I can't believe I never saw it...sheeesh....Replaced it and problem solved...I WILL be looking at starter brushes, they have to be pretty short by now...Donn

Quick Reply: Starter won't quit..'86 FLHTC