General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped 3 bolts that hold air filter on

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:43 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Stripped 3 bolts that hold air filter on

A neighbor stopped by asking for help in cleaning his air cleaner filter out. He must have red loctited or over torqued the 3 star bolts because they wouldnt budge and he stripped the star bolt pattern out.

I suggesting maybe trying a drill with reverse and a left handed bit but he didnt have any.

Anyone have any other suggestions on removing them bolts?

Also do you know off the top of your head what size star bolts they are?
Thanks for your feedback.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:45 AM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 590 Likes on 309 Posts

May have to use a drill with a larger bit to drill off the heads of the bolts, or use a grinder to grind them down so you can get the air cleaner off, then use vice grips to remove them.

Dont know what size they are.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:45 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Dremel a thin straight line across the face of the screw and then use a large screw driver, or drill them and use the easy out.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:23 AM
wilddave
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If I remember correctly the air cleaner bolts stick out a little and are not flush mounted in the filter. Use a pair of locking vice-grips and lock them onto the head of the bolt as tightly as possible, then use the vice-grip to break them free. It is easier if you clamp it on from the side and not straight on, if that makes sense.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:02 AM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Can either use the dremel method people are suggesting or a drill with easy outs.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:28 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,758 Likes on 6,199 Posts

Go buy him one of those Fisher-Price plastic tool kits (the one for ages 4-up). Have him practice on that for a while, before he gets anywhere close to working on his own bike again.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:39 AM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Go buy him one of those Fisher-Price plastic tool kits (the one for ages 4-up). Have him practice on that for a while, before he gets anywhere close to working on his own bike again.
Hahah

Look i know im not the greatest, but red loctite on breather screws is insane. Not sure why anyone would think red of all loctites is good there.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:48 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

lol thats funny. No, I dont know for certain he loctited them bolts. It felt like it. He stripped 2 bolts and broke the T27 starbit trying to break them free. I was able to get one loose but the others were stripped so bad nothing would catch or budge them. Gotta be in there tight if it bent and broke the starbit.

He tried tapping a flat blade screw driver into the stripped head of bolt and was able to get a groove but couldnt turn the screw driver. My grip still aint good since I had the chemo treatments so I tried using a wrench on screw driver to get a better grip and I couldnt budge it.

Will try the drill and ez out next and see if that works. Hopefully it does. Thanks for the feedback and the laughs.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:49 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,377 Likes on 987 Posts

LOL thanks for todays laugh!!!

Old 03-03-2015, 10:59 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

I've used a heat gun to warm stuff up that won't release, also have used freeze and release spray to chill stuff...two safe methods to apply heat/cold that can help release fasteners. I also have some special vise grips (goggle image "vise grip locking wrench") that look like a parrot jaw; man, they grip good! I cope with seized fasteners at work quite a bit...

Last edited by sharkey; 03-03-2015 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Stripped 3 bolts that hold air filter on