General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather jackets

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:18 AM
PAFXCWC
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather jackets

I recently bought a no name jacket in hopes it would be a heavy leather jacket to provide some protection from the elements and road rash in the event I lay it down. The jacket I got fits pretty well but it isn't as thick as I had hoped for. I am going to save my pennies and buy another GOOD jacket and need some input on brands. I am interested in something along the lines of the Schott 141 cafe style. Here comes the "fun" part, I am 6'7" and 300lbs so nothing of "normal" size fits me because of long arms and long torso. I really need some of the tall guys to speak up. First brand I am looking at is Fox Creek, I have heard good things about them. Second is obviously Schott but when I factor in the sizing options I am at like $840. Any have any other options for me to look into? I really want to stay with USA made also.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:34 AM
harleyultra1969
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're already looking at $840, then consider this. This is what I'd go with if I hadn't already bought the Evolution. They also offer it in Tall size.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...leather-jacket

Old 03-05-2015, 01:26 AM
MOTORCYCLMAN
Stage I

I do have a HD triple vent jacket, and it vents like they say-- nice jacket with armor in elbows, shoulders, back. However... an even heavier (leather), american made, and profoundly backed by the people who make jackets in a variety of styles, and worth checking out, is my other heavy duty jacket made by FOX CREEK Leather. No regrets. One can get excellent quality if one does the homework...Fox does custom measurements.. give them a ring, talk, and check their website. You may be surprised.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:50 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by PAFXCWC
I recently bought a no name jacket in hopes it would be a heavy leather jacket to provide some protection from the elements and road rash in the event I lay it down. The jacket I got fits pretty well but it isn't as thick as I had hoped for. I am going to save my pennies and buy another GOOD jacket and need some input on brands. I am interested in something along the lines of the Schott 141 cafe style. Here comes the "fun" part, I am 6'7" and 300lbs so nothing of "normal" size fits me because of long arms and long torso. I really need some of the tall guys to speak up. First brand I am looking at is Fox Creek, I have heard good things about them. Second is obviously Schott but when I factor in the sizing options I am at like $840. Any have any other options for me to look into? I really want to stay with USA made also.
Fox Creek is probably your best bet. They specialize in Motorcycle Gear and they will help with custom fitting. Cost will come in well under $840.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:24 AM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 949 Likes on 412 Posts

I just bought a Fox Creek in the Cafe style a few weeks ago. Has triple venting and armour pockets. Very well done. Reasonable price. Offer big and tall sizing. Leather is pebbled compared to Schott's smooth surface. Unless you go custom out the gate, can return easily for exchange.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:53 AM
PAFXCWC
Cruiser

Thanks for the input fellas. I like the looks of the HD stuff but I am gonna stay away from them because the ones I have looked at are made in China and I don't think they are any better of quality than the ones that sell for $160 without the HD logo's embossed in them. For those of you that have the Fox Creek jackets, can you post up pics of your jackets even if they are a different style? Their website doesn't offer very good pics of their products and I have heard nothing but good reviews from other owners.

Last edited by PAFXCWC; 03-05-2015 at 08:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-05-2015, 09:32 AM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 949 Likes on 412 Posts

I would post a pic but am illiterate on the process. The one I got is the Vented Racing Jacket. Also have the Schott 641 that is comparable to 141 but is a fitted cut. I love the Schott. The Fox Creek has more features and is built like a brick chit house, fits very well and is priced fair.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:46 AM
70copperz
Cruiser
Received 91 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm 6'5" and I have the Fox Creek vented racing jacket in size 48 long. It fits like a glove and is an awesome jacket! Give them a call before you order and they will size you up.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:33 AM
Steve635
Cruiser

Taylor Leather is a US company that makes leather jackets for Police Departments throughout the country. They make quality jackets out of heavy leather and I don't think you'd have any problems with size. Unfortunately most of their jackets are now sewn outside the US (they were originally totally made in the US and the company has retained many US workers), but they run around $400.00. For me, while I'd prefer a jacket that was totally Made in the USA, twice the price (for comparable quality) is pretty difficult to swallow, more sure, but twice the price?

Old 03-05-2015, 10:43 AM
PAFXCWC
Cruiser

I agree Steve, while I really like to support USA made products sometimes the cost is just too great. After all, I am a workin man! I will check out Taylor Leathers. I am leaning towards the Fox Creek because of the "custom" tailoring an I think for right now they are the best bang for the buck. I will certainly continue looking and researching.

Quick Reply: Leather jackets