General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stealership trying to get me!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:10 AM
jmio
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stealership trying to get me!

So I have been riding for a long time, been on ultra classic for the last 5 years, and know the game of harley parts and service. so i decided to get a 2015 street bob to supplement my garage. Well as it sits with a solo seat, I have a fiancé wanting a ride real bad. Naturally, went up to harley to get a sissybar, ordered my seat from c&c seats, and thought it was all good. Well long story short, the sissybar i wanted, the tall quick disconnect one needs a license plate relocation kit as well as blinker relocation? Well that puts the license plate under the fender and I am not gonna do that. Oh and they want 800 dollars with labor to do it! I refuse! I don't want the license plate under the fender, i like where it is, and i don't want to pay 800 bucks! Anybody out there have an alternative to this? I really enjoy the look of that quick disconnect version, but am not opposed to hard mounted sissybars, I pack a lot of stuff when on the bike for work, thanks for any help!

Old 03-05-2015, 09:23 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,066 Likes on 11,074 Posts

Originally Posted by jmio
i don't want to pay 800 bucks! Anybody out there have an alternative to this? !
Yes, install the parts yourself.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:24 AM
jmio
Cruiser

i will, i just don't want that license plate bracket under the fender, i like it to the side

Old 03-05-2015, 09:31 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Get parts from Kutter or Surdyke and install yourself. It's just bolts...

Old 03-05-2015, 09:32 AM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I've been looking at this for a rack for my SBob and I thought this was the answer:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...relocation-kit

I do see mixed information on the HD site regarding the use of the docking accessories that I cant square up. Particularly with a detachable sissy bar. I've seen where it won't work, but I can't see where it wouldn't once the dockable hardware is installed. I did try to confirm if one could install the ridged rack with the docking hardware for a sissy bar, and was told no can't be done.

Last edited by Rumblin; 03-05-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:37 AM
Steve635
Cruiser

Had to do the same on the Slim, but it wasn't an issue as I liked it centered better. I remember thinking that the taillight relocation was necessary, but I don't remember why the license plate relocation was required. Doesn't seem that it would be too difficult to work around.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:40 AM
jmio
Cruiser

my buddy fabricated a bracket for license plate to be mounted off frame, and then installed this back rest and just put new blinkers on, it was pretty in-depth and i don't have any of the metal working tools. I was just hoping there was an aftermarket alternative.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:44 AM
JerseyDoug
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumblin
I've been looking at this for a rack for my SBob and I thought this was the answer:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...relocation-kit

I do see mixed information on the HD site regarding the use of the docking accessories that I cant square up. Particularly with a detachable sissy bar. I've seen where it won't work, but I can't see where it wouldn't once the dockable hardware is installed. I did try to confirm if one could install the ridged rack with the docking hardware for a sissy bar, and was told no can't be done.
According to the Q&A for the above link, that kit is the international kit. ou would need part no. 53797-09 for a domestic bike. (I think.)

Old 03-05-2015, 09:55 AM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JerseyDoug
According to the Q&A for the above link, that kit is the international kit. ou would need part no. 53797-09 for a domestic bike. (I think.)

Yes, those new questions posed and answered is new information to me. You're right. I was under the impression, false apparently, that HD\India meant domestic (HD) and India. Well, that screws what I was hoping for. Rigid rack it is for me, as much as I really didn't want to do that. I still wonder what the differences are though. The installation instruction were there a week or so ago but aren't any longer.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:00 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I don't understand why the "stealership" is trying to "get you". Parts are parts. What does this have to do with the dealership?

Quick Reply: stealership trying to get me!