General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sheepskin cover vs beaded seat pad

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:12 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts
Default Sheepskin cover vs beaded seat pad

Although I don't have a real big problem staying in the saddle for long stretches (Road Zepplin seat), I'm looking for something to aid in even longer rides. I'm looking at the sheepskin cover and the beaded pad. I'm leaning toward the beaded pad because it makes the most logical sense....do to changing pressure points. I have read almost every comparison on the web and so far have only seen 2 or 3 negative responses on the beaded pad unlike the sheepskin cover.

I know about the benefits of heating/cooling of the sheepskin. I'm mainly interested in extending actual sitting times.

I'm planning on doing the Iron Butt "Saddlesore 1000" on my way back from doing my Dealer's Route 66 road trip in a couple months and want to get all the help I can get.

So, I'm here to get your thoughts on the matter, particularly on the pros/cons of the beaded pad. The best advertisement is actual usage from real users of the product.

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:06 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I like my sheepskin. Never tried the beaded pad.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:16 AM
hillbillywhisperer
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the BeadRider and love it. It definitely helps with the Swamp *** on long rides. I also believe it helps in the comfort area on long rides but the longest I probably was in the saddle using it would probably only be about 3 hours straight. Have been on all day rides but with stops every couple of hours or so. I was really more interested in the Swamp *** aspect of it though as I live in Florida and I do not like Swamp ***.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:24 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

I have a sheepskin for cold weather riding as it does really help keep me warm (cheap version of a heated seat, I guess). Other than added warmth, I don't think it does much for extending my ride. I have, and like, my Airhawk, but you didn't ask about that.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Tinker55
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

Can't comment on the beaded pads, but am very happy with my sheepskin pad; did some long trips last year (600 km + per day) and found it to be very comfortable. It certainly allowed me to stay 'in the saddle' much longer than without the pad. It does take a little maintenance after every 20-30 hours or so but I think it's worth the effort

Old 03-05-2015, 12:16 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I've had em both. Love the sheepskin and hated the beads. Felt like I was sitting on, well, a board!

Old 03-05-2015, 12:44 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Love my sheepskin. Biggest problem initially was having the wind blow it off when not on the bike. Solved the problem by making a slot to insert my back rest. Now it is perfect.

I have two, made from scraps of sheep skin. One for riding single and another for double.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:45 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I've never tried either. But sitting on beads, would seem like sitting on rocks. More power to those that like then but you couldn't pay me to sit on them. Sheepskin looks like it'd be hot and I sure don't need that in Texas.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:48 PM
scoriden
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a Bead Rider and love it. Keeps me cool, changing pressure points and it keeps you dryer in the rain. Plus it is maintenance free.

Leave it on all the time, guess I need a new picture.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Bigbob88
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When wife and I go on long trips we use the beads they are comfortable and they do keep you from sweating especially when going to Florida where it's hot and humid.

Quick Reply: Sheepskin cover vs beaded seat pad