General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a wise idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 01:53 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Is this a wise idea?

So I'm basically trying to do a sanity check here. I just recently purchased a new Softail Slim here in Illinois and its been garaged since its purchase. Now obvious I'm itching to break out this bad boy for a spin! I don't think that I can describe in words the level of excitement and anticipation I have to actually ride this bike for the first time. With all that being said, its been forcasted to warm up here to about 40 degrees. Now taking winterizing elements and possible spring road conditions in consideration, does anyone think riding this early in the mid-west would do more harm and bring too much risk than the early thrills I would get? I might just need someone to tell me to slow my roll!

Old 03-05-2015, 02:09 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

I don't know anything about the riding conditions in your part of the country but if they put down salt to help with snowy or icy conditions and there is still some salt on the roads, you'll have to give your bike a good cleaning when you get home to prevent the salt from possibly causing a few little issues later on. That being said, ride the dang thing, isn't that what you bought it for!

Old 03-05-2015, 02:29 PM
yellowpearlfb
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I realize that u r excited to get out, with that being said and if I were you, I would wait a while until some of the crap gets cleaned (by mother nature) off the road/s. Hang in there....you'll b out riding soon.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:41 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually it takes one good hard rain to clean the salt off....I'd wait for that because the stuff they use these days eats aluminum for breakfast!

Old 03-05-2015, 02:43 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Patience, Grasshopper

Looking at the road conditions here in Michigan, there's no way I'd take a bike out at this point. The salt, sand, and a winters worth of debris sitting in every intersection, not to mention the amount of salt spray you're going to get on the bike with even a short ride, cold asphalt limiting traction, I'm just as eager to ride but I'm personally going to wait for that first good rain to wash the roads clear a bit before I venture out, the anticipation is going to make that first ride even sweeter...

Old 03-05-2015, 02:47 PM
mcdaniel52761
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with the responses above me. I live in S.E. Iowa so I'm not too far from ya. Purchased a 2015 Limited about two months ago and can't wait to take it out but not before we get a couple hard rains to wash the salt from the road. From what I've read, that crap gets in places where you'll never get it out.....much like rolling around on a beach naked. Again, no experience

Old 03-05-2015, 02:49 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,116 Likes on 2,674 Posts

the roads are so beat up by potholes and cracks around here from this winter, the spring commute is not looking like much fun. The driveway at my last house was in better shape in that wasn't even paved.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:53 PM
lemonade_07flstc
Extreme HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 276 Posts

Not sure where you're at but I am South of Springfield and I try to wait until it is done snowing and the salt washes off. It is supposed to get in upper 50's by Sunday here but if it doesnt rain I can wait a little longer. Supposed to be nice all next week and hopefully stays that way because will be in FL all week for business.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:14 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I ride in those temps every year. Every year I say I should wait, but I don't. Dirt, sand and crud at stop signs and corners will be a issue. Also stay away from shady areas. There can still be ice.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,394 Likes on 1,539 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
I ride in those temps every year. Every year I say I should wait, but I don't. Dirt, sand and crud at stop signs and corners will be a issue. Also stay away from shady areas. There can still be ice.
+1 on this. 53 tomorrow, I'm riding.

Quick Reply: Is this a wise idea?