General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley's New Ad Campaign

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 06:36 AM
William C
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-06-2015, 07:52 AM
digthemlows
Cruiser

kinda the same marketing ducati is doing with the scrambler. They are going after the younger riders, and I think that's a good thing. Kids these days aren't even getting their drivers license until later, let alone riding motorcycles. All the companies need to get some "life long" riders to get started and to fall in love with a brand/idea.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:13 AM
Weekend Brawler
Intermediate

good direction to go, but maybe they need to have a regular joe guy as well. I mean I don't feel like I stand out really, just go to work, then ride when I can.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:27 AM
Gunrunner72
Road Master
Received 368 Likes on 117 Posts

Ehhh, I don't know. I understand the angle from Harley's point of view. Too hipster/micro-brewery/skinny jeans for me. Damn, I must really be getting old....

Old 03-06-2015, 08:40 AM
Cobra1
Road Warrior

Received 1,289 Likes on 523 Posts

Yes the generations of buy a Harley and trade,it for a new one are getting old and dying off. They need new riders to buy their first Harley. I have probably bought my last.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:16 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

I like it a lot, but would agree with an above poster that they need a quick snippet of a normal rider as well. The challenge is that while this may appeal to some young people, it also markets an aggressive style of riding that many may not be interested in as well. This has nothing to do with age, but "how you roll", should include someone on a touring bike overlooking the grand canyon for roughly 2 seconds, something that says freedom from the grind in some visual way.

One of the new pieces of business that we started where I work is a lift accessed mountain bike park. Probably one of the nicest on the East Coast and progressively designed for beginners to double diamond riders. But our initial videos while incredibly fun to watch only appealed to the 2% of active mountain bikers with a penchant for that type of terrain. Similar to Harley we're trying to build new riders into the sport so we adjusted part of the initial video (as well as creating a separate one), that had a few seconds of an instructor teaching some kids, a woman coming down the beginner trail, etc. Made a huge difference.

I'm no marketing person but just my .02 as a relatively normal person, new Harley rider. Still I do like the direction

Old 03-06-2015, 11:49 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Trying to hard to get young people that dont have tons of money to spend on a bike. Some do but not tons....

Old 03-06-2015, 12:03 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Introducing the most uncomfortable seat we've ever made without spikes:

Old 03-06-2015, 12:07 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunrunner72
Ehhh, I don't know. I understand the angle from Harley's point of view. Too hipster/micro-brewery/skinny jeans for me. Damn, I must really be getting old....
It is supposed to be too hipster/micro-brewery/skinny jeans for you. You're not the buyer they are trying to reach.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:12 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunrunner72
Too hipster/micro-brewery/skinny jeans for me.
Well, you already love the brand. No need to advertise to you!

They're advertising, not "singing to the choir".

Quick Reply: Harley's New Ad Campaign