General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a creative speedo setup to ditch my ugly dash panel

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 07:06 PM
muttboy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for a creative speedo setup to ditch my ugly dash panel

Hello all,
I'm riding a 2007 Deuce. It's my daily driver.
I'm curious if my speedometer and indicator lights' wiring will work, from an electronics perspective, with a dash and speedo/indicators from something like, say, a Softail Slim? (That's an expensive move, btw!)

Actually, what I'd really like to do, or what I'm really looking to achieve is using Fatbob tanks and one of the available lower profile short dash panel. I like the shorter tank over the stock Deuce tank.
This would be a good way to keep function and improve form. However, I don't know if there is a speedometer that will work with my 2007 and fit in one of those style dash options. I'm not afraid to move pins and change plugs, etc. Does anyone have input on this idea?

Or...
Just ditch any factory style setup altogether:

I've considered getting the GuageFace setup for iPhones. It's like $160 and provides lots of cool realtime info and other neat stuff. Then I could have no ugly dash on a daily commuter.
But, I'm afraid it will be a lot of work making everything look slick and then that company goes south and I've got no support and have to redo everything.

I'm not apposed to just using one of those mini speedos with dummy lights and a trip odometer. I don't know which kind will work with the factory electronics, though.
The trip odometer is a must so I know when to fill up, of course.

Don't worry, I've already got the EFI worked out to go under/into what ever tank setup I decide on.
I just really hate the dash on my bike and I'm just wanting to change tanks to get rid of that dash, get a new look, and still have functionality.
I'll be keeping my factory stuff and paint nice and store that tank away.

So, basically, I'm looking for some kind of clean speedo/trip odometer/possible idiot lights setup that will work with an '07 Softail. It's not as easy to shop for as one would think.
(Oh, No Dakota Digital)

Anyone creative have any ideas?
Riding time is just around the corner...

Thanks folks.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:33 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Why no Dakota Digital, they make great gauges. Have run a couple over the years without a single issue.

Dakota Digital mount

Mounting bracket fabricated from 3/4" 6062 aluminum

Old 03-06-2015, 11:47 PM
muttboy
Cruiser

Actually, the gauge you are using is the only one they make that I like! And I like your bars and controls. Looks slick.
It's mostly money.
I'm just a cheap ***.
I've been shopping the interweb all evening and I really think that the mini (under 2") speedometers with the LED dummy lights would do the trick for me. Only problem is the only come in mechanical versions. I'm not sure that will work on a late model bike.
And, of course, the electronic programable don't have dummy lights.
I'm also getting confused about which factory gauges fit in all of the fat bob dash kits. Some say "Convert your late model bike to the old look".
Something's telling me they don't really mean recent 'late' models.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:55 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I get the money part, I searched high and low until I found a dealer closing them out, ended up paying about 250 if I remember right.
Made the bars and bracket myself, because I am a cheap *** Scotsman...lol That and I enjoy making my own parts.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:02 AM
muttboy
Cruiser

I'm trying to stay on that path too. I'll just be happy if my EFI plans work and I'm not leaking fuel everywhere but in the cylinders!
I've got a one piece Softail tank that Ive cut down and kinda started mocking up.
But, for $150 +/- $20, I can actually get that old fat Bob look. I'm just trying to be discrete about the modern electronics crap to get the look I want, but be able to sell it as a straight Deuce if I absolutely HAD to.
I mean, I guess I could sell one of my kids under such circumstances, but I'd rather not. To much paperwork.