General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on bike choice

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 12:45 AM
drkglass01
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on bike choice

I haven't ridden a motorcycle since the "80's". Back then I had a Yamaha 750 Virago.
I am 55 now and since I now have the time and money to get a bike, I would like to get back into riding.
I took a motorcycle safety class at the local college back before I bought the Yamaha.
I have always wanted to try a Harley, but they were just too expensive and labor intensive.
I understand the newer models are much more reliable than the older ones use to be.
I am 6'1" and weigh about 200 lbs. I like the looks of the 883 but have read that it maybe too small for someone over 6'.
I am looking for something I can cruise around town and maybe a few country roads on.
I would like not to spend more than 10 to 12K if possible. I don't really care about the power as I am sure that the 883 has plenty of horses for me. I am a little concerned about the weight of some of the bigger bikes as in " if I dump it, can I tip it back up".
Any advice, suggestions, etc.. would be appreciated.
Thank you

Old 03-09-2015, 02:47 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If your looking at new bikes for under 12k you dont have to worry about the heavier ones

Welcome from Oregon

Old 03-09-2015, 03:03 AM
keeferfish
Tourer

Advise - don't dump it.

Welcome.

New or used? Test ride and get what you like and feel comfortable on.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:37 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Welcome !!

For your reintroduction to riding you'd be way happier spending a few thou extra on something like a Low Rider than going for a Sportster. The "bigger" bike will actually be easier to handle.

Test ride em.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:53 AM
RickDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the Forum from Middle Georgia. I doubt you will be comfortable on a sportster. Consider somthing in the Dyna category if you have to have a Harley. Yamaha makes some very well priced high quality cruisers. I bought a Yamaha roadstar when I returned to motorcycling after a down spell and was very happy with it.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:07 AM
martinfd
3rd Gear

A low rider or street bob with forward controls are both nice... I bought a used 2004 Electra Glide and I love it... I'm 6'2" and 290lbs and with freeway pegs, it's an awesome ride... Also only had to pay $7100... Deals can be found shopping used... Oh yea, welcome from another newbie...

Old 03-09-2015, 07:22 AM
Retirementtoy
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome from the eastern shore of Maryland and all good advice here. My wife is a first time rider and just bought a used Heritage Softail and I think she is going to be very happy with it. The reason I say this is she is about your size and she feels very comfortable with her new one and paid under 10,000 for it. Be sure to test drive many and have fun.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:30 AM
Garyshome
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello from NC

Old 03-09-2015, 07:31 AM
Larry Davis
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

6' 1" and 200 lbs? You would look like a cartoon on a 883!

You have not ridden in a long time and it really may not be your "cup of tea" anymore. I would suggest you get yourself a cheap Jap bike and ride it for a few months. If you still feel the thrill and enthusiasm most of us do then get rid of it and join the largest motorcycle family in the world, Harley Davidson!

Old 03-09-2015, 07:34 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

I say go bigger, sportys are fun but most move to a bigger one after a while. Lots of nice choices in your price range. If you plain to go with used I like the street glide.

Quick Reply: Advice on bike choice