General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I install a new CLUTCH?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:25 PM
Hansome
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Should I install a new CLUTCH?

***I bought this XL1200C from an Insurance Co *** It was in an accident, and has smashed up parts. But it also has upgrades, like V & H short shots, and a SEII air breather, and a Fuel Pak. And....there is evidence that the cam cover was removed, and evidence of a top end job. Biggest problem was the shifter shaft has been smashed into the primary cover. I have removed the Primary cover, and bought a new shaft and a new primary cover from Ebay, and so Im waiting for the parts. I bought this bike cheap, and so I could spend some ca$h on it. The local stealership has no info on it, as far as upgrades. IF THIS BIKE WAS YOURS, WOULD YOU INSTALL A PERFORMANCE CLUTCH IN IT, WHILE THE PRIMARY IS ALREADY OPEN AND ACCESSIBLE AND THE OLD CLUTCH IS COMING OUT (to make way for the shift shaft). Or just reinstall the old clutch?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:51 PM
R_Einan
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

If it were mine and coming apart already, yes, I would replace the clutch. I probably wouldn't go crazy with it, just some upgraded frictions. I like to take care of all my problems when I'm inside, that way I only go in once. Nothin I hate more than having to do the same job multiple times.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:08 PM
Hansome
Advanced

Im thinking the same thing. I will not be back into this primary for 5 or more years, I hope. Not looking for heavy duty, or high performance unless price is so good I can't say no. Thanks, my friend.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:57 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,725 Posts

I pulled the plates on my 1200 at around 30,000 miles, and the rivets were loose in the spring plate. I thought around $100 for a Barnett plate set that doesn't use that spring plate, and $50 for a spring compressor (won't do it without one) was a good investment, considering what happens when those rivets do let go. There are several comparable aftermarket plate sets, about all get decent reviews. If your sporty is low mileage, little plate wear, you could just get the plates to fill in where the spring plate was, three plates I think, don't remember which is two and which is one, fiber and steel, but should be easy to look up. I'd never have the primary cover off a sporty and not ditch that spring plate mess. Mine actually seems to shift better now, too.

Last edited by Imold; 03-09-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:04 AM
Hansome
Advanced

Thanks IMOLD. This one is at 26 or 27k miles. I gotta agree, I mean as long as the cover is off anyhow. I got the bike for $2100, total, so I shouldn't skimp on ****. The other part of me says "dont try to fix things that work"
it just makes me feel weird to put the cover back on without replacing worn parts.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:12 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,074 Likes on 1,485 Posts

The factory clutch on the slightly older Sportys were known to have a fairly high failure rate, spring plate was a weakness. Since she's apart..good time to replace with a good Barnett one. Cheap enough and it's already apart.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:28 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by Hansome
Thanks IMOLD. This one is at 26 or 27k miles. I gotta agree, I mean as long as the cover is off anyhow. I got the bike for $2100, total, so I shouldn't skimp on ****. The other part of me says "dont try to fix things that work"
it just makes me feel weird to put the cover back on without replacing worn parts.
Been several rivet failures reported on this forum with less mileage than that, though some have said they had over 60,000 miles and still had the original clutch. Let us know what condition your spring plate rivets are in, haven't had many reports on here about them until they caused a problem. That's a good deal on a 1200 if it doesn't take a lot to fix it.

Last edited by Imold; 03-10-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Hansome
Advanced

There are other problems. Seat is trashed, gas tank smashed up. Foot peg and forward controls on the primary side just gone, mirror broken. No damage to the lights, wheels, frame or front end. Yeah, 2100 was a bargain. Primary cover was 80 and the shift shaft was 50, from Ebay. If I can get the seat, tank and shifter cheap, I will throw some mild cams at it. Im pretty excited to be getting things together. Been two years since my last sporty.