General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3/4 helmet without windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 07:37 AM
jmio
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3/4 helmet without windshield

Just bought a new street bob and usually wear a full face when cold, and half when it's warm. WELL, on the highway at about 85, felt like my head was going to detach from my body due to my half helmet becoming a parachute. Would a 3/4 helmet like the daytona cruiser or bell 500 help alleviate this lift off experience? With the full face it's perfectly fine, i just like having the wind in my face and been seeing these 3/4 helmets come around more often. Thanks for your experience. I might add, i have had street bikes my entire life, and for the last 5 years i have been on an electra glide with shorty windshield.

Last edited by jmio; 03-10-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:00 AM
FloridaHarleyRider
Cruiser

I just bought a Biltwell 3/4 and it is a lot more comfortable then any of my 1/2 helmets. I can actually hear better due to lack of wind noise (I tried earplugs but they were not at all comfortable), and the 3/4 stays in place better than the 1/2. Full face too constrained for me, 1/2 just wasn't right either.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:03 AM
jmio
Cruiser

ah, that makes me feel better! because i rode 120 miles home from the dealership and I couldn't hear out of my left ear by the end of the ride. wind was kicking up at 30 mph though and raining! Was an epic maiden voyage of the 2015 lol

Old 03-10-2015, 08:58 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I wear the equivalent of the HJC IS-33 helmet. My old, perfectly round helmet...the CL-33...used to make me look like a bobble head in the wind, no matter how strong it was. But the IS-33, most all of the time, my head is very still. My wife even mentioned it, since we both have the same style.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:35 AM
C.J
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get a proper fitting helmet, you shouldn't get much lift.

I am a recent convert from 1/2 to 3/4 lids. Some of my buddies still poke fun, but I don't care....it makes a long haul much more enjoyable due to the cut down wind noise. Add a bubble sheild on the cooler spring/fall days and you're in business.

Good luck finding the right one. I am still searching. I have Daytona, Licks and 2 Bell 500's. IMHO, of the helmets I own, the NEW Bell 500 is the largest most bobble headed helmet....the Daytona and the Licks Novdot are much more low profile.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:51 AM
maverick2076
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I threw away my 1/2 the day I bought a Lick's 3/4. Much quieter and more comfortable. That being said, these days I ride with a Biltwell Gringo. Its a FF helmet, but without a shield. Best of both worlds, IMO. Open face feel, FF protection. With either one, a bubble shield is a great addition for night/cold/rainy riding.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:45 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Between the lifting (minor, and it was adjusted best it could be) and wind noise from my half helmet I finally ended up with the Bell 500. I've had the HD/HJC 3/4 helmets and the Bell has been the best for comfort so far. Don't think I'll ever use a half again. I'm too old to give a crap about how it looks so you have to figure that out for yourself.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:49 AM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts

3/4 > 1/2.

Unless it's really, really hot, or I need to be able to stow my lid in a saddle bag, I'll wear the 3/4.

GM

Old 03-10-2015, 02:52 PM
jmio
Cruiser

yeah, i love my 1/2 helmet daytona (behind my ultra fairing) but anything above 75 mph on the highway behind my street bob, my correct fitting half helmet wants to choke me and has a lift. I like the looks of the daytona cruiser, and especially like the price. I'm ordering it tonight.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:57 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by jmio
Just bought a new street bob and usually wear a full face when cold, and half when it's warm. WELL, on the highway at about 85, felt like my head was going to detach from my body due to my half helmet becoming a parachute. Would a 3/4 helmet like the daytona cruiser or bell 500 help alleviate this lift off experience? With the full face it's perfectly fine, i just like having the wind in my face and been seeing these 3/4 helmets come around more often. Thanks for your experience. I might add, i have had street bikes my entire life, and for the last 5 years i have been on an electra glide with shorty windshield.
I went from a 1/2 helmet to a 3/4 made by Bell. My head and ears thank me. As I get older, I value my hearing more and more. I also wear earplugs just to add that little extra but there was a definite difference when I went to the 3/4.

Quick Reply: 3/4 helmet without windshield