General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wire Extending In Bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 04:24 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts
Default Wire Extending In Bars

All,
Need thoughts and input from the most vastly knowledgeable amount of people in one place collectively.

I am in the middle of putting bars on my bike and I came across a stumbling block. I bought wire extension kits that I need to cut the wires and extend, then re- crimp pins on the end of the new wire ends. So I bought a tool from Amazon to do this. Well, tool don't work. Wrong pin types.

So I came up with two choices:

1) Send the tool back and get the correct one. My problem is, I have no clue what tool I need. Here is the picture of the pins I have.

2) Send the tool back for refund. I was somewhere else and a guy mentioned that he just took the wire harness, cut the wires in the "middle", then extended the wires with two solder joints per wire. So the connectors never have to be tore apart. Yea, the wires would have to be cut and extended, then pulled through, then soldered again. I can see this being a pain if the wires need re- tore apart. But the plus side is that you dont have to screw with tearing apart the connectors. But besides that, is there any other downside to this idea?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Dan

Old 03-10-2015, 04:30 PM
Deaf_N_1_Eye
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this isn't exactly an answer to the questions you asked, but that type of connector doesn't need a tool to crimp it; just slide the wire in, bend each tab down and then squeeze tight with a pair of pliers. Obviously, a good layer of electrical tape will be needed too.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Fix My Hog on Youtube has a pretty decent series on wiring bars, doing connectors and matching wire. If you're a rookie like me, I found it very informative. Several in the series probably ran an hour or so. They were putting on some bars with integrated wiring using a Burly kit as I recall.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:37 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by DanHappy
All,
Need thoughts and input from the most vastly knowledgeable amount of people in one place collectively.

I am in the middle of putting bars on my bike and I came across a stumbling block. I bought wire extension kits that I need to cut the wires and extend, then re- crimp pins on the end of the new wire ends. So I bought a tool from Amazon to do this. Well, tool don't work. Wrong pin types.

So I came up with two choices:

1) Send the tool back and get the correct one. My problem is, I have no clue what tool I need. Here is the picture of the pins I have.

2) Send the tool back for refund. I was somewhere else and a guy mentioned that he just took the wire harness, cut the wires in the "middle", then extended the wires with two solder joints per wire. So the connectors never have to be tore apart. Yea, the wires would have to be cut and extended, then pulled through, then soldered again. I can see this being a pain if the wires need re- tore apart. But the plus side is that you dont have to screw with tearing apart the connectors. But besides that, is there any other downside to this idea?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Dan
That looks like a pin from a molex connector. It requires a special crimper. If I were you, I would order and extension kit from Namz an call it a day...If not, you can cut your current wires in the middle (stagger them so the connections are not all at the same place) and solder back together. Then, pull them through the bars and you are done. The plugs are not even a little hard to take apart...

Old 03-10-2015, 04:38 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deaf_N_1_Eye
I know this isn't exactly an answer to the questions you asked, but that type of connector doesn't need a tool to crimp it; just slide the wire in, bend each tab down and then squeeze tight with a pair of pliers. Obviously, a good layer of electrical tape will be needed too.
Deaf_N_1_Eye,

Usually these type of connections, when crimped properly, have a heart shape to them. The parts sticking up kind of roll and push down into the wires. I had a tool for small wire and does not fit this size of connectors. The tool was borrowed and never returned. No clue who or brand.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:08 PM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,427 Likes on 4,129 Posts

Dan, You're right about the crimp...kinda heart shaped so the ends crimp down on the wire. I remember using the round crimper on my wire strippers to get the tabs to start curling around, then crimped it tight. Didn't turn out perfect, but I added a spot of solder to make sure the wire stayed in place.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:20 PM
jimjlips
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

My bike is an 04 and I added some wire in the middle and added 2 pieces of heat shrink tube over each solder joint, all is well. I don't think you can solder the wires on the newer bikes (with throttle by wire) because of the resistance you are adding to the wiring or some BS like that.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:39 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jimjlips
My bike is an 04 and I added some wire in the middle and added 2 pieces of heat shrink tube over each solder joint, all is well. I don't think you can solder the wires on the newer bikes (with throttle by wire) because of the resistance you are adding to the wiring or some BS like that.

I have a 13, so I am good. Thanks for the idea though.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:32 PM
Cpt Morgan
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do the double splice method and leave the pins in the connectors. I bought the CVO tbw with the pins attached, so I didn't splice the throttle wires and no "green monster" connector to deal with. Be sure to stagger your splices for easy pulling through your bars. Good luck.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:25 AM
rotorh60
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cut in the middle and solder in extension. Don't forget the shrink wrap. Stagger the joints to ease reassembly. Takes roughly 20 minutes to prep, solder, and shrink. Just my .02, and I've done this to two of my bikes without any trouble or issues later on.

Quick Reply: Wire Extending In Bars