General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future Harley rider needs some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 09:02 PM
razor02
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Future Harley rider needs some advice...

Hey guys! I hope I am posting this in the right place...
So I've been riding for 3 years now, I started on a ninja 250 and currently have a GSX-R 600. Anyhow, I am now looking to buy a harley. I always wanted a harley to start with, but had to go with a crotch rocket for cost. I'm currently looking at the harley sportster iron 883s... The bike fits my budget and gets me in the door to becoming a harley rider.
My 3 questions are-
One, I found two irons at my local dealer, ones a 2014 amber whiskey color with security system and 1k miles. The other is a 2013 in black denim, no security system and 2k miles. Both bikes are priced at $7,998.. so exactly the same price. Only major difference is I like the amber whiskey color (black seems to be most popular so I want something different) Is $7,998 a good price? Since they are only a year apart and 1k mileage difference I figure they are about the same. Should I try to talk them down any or is that a pretty low price to start with?

Second question- The 2014 amber whiskey one has mid controls while the 2013 black denim has forwards. I'm 6'2 so I like the feel of the forwards better, but I like the amber whiskey color better. I asked the dealer how much it would be to put forwards on the 2014 and he told me $800 OTD. Is it really that much? or can buy the part myself and save some money? also how hard is it to change from mids to forwards? Im pretty good with a wrench so I dont see it as much of a challenge but was just looking for some insight from people who have done the switch.

Third question- Am I gonna be bored with the 883? Will I want more power within a month? I realize it probably wont compare to my GSX-R and thats ok since I will be keeping that bike.I'm not a speed demon by any means, heck I dont even go fast on my GSX-R because I try to stay safe(I really just like the looks of the bike lol). I just want the harley to cruise around town maybe light trips and to drive to class every now and then. I saw a 1200 nightster at the dealer but it was a little out of my range. Should I wait and save for that or just buy the 883 and if I decide I want a little more power do the conversion? I've heard its cheaper to go that route than buy the 1200 up front anyways. Also Im only 140lbs...

Sorry for the long post.. Just looking for some insight before I buy. I'm going to the dealer sunday to purchase a bike (hopefully)
Any advice will be much appreciated! Looking forward to finally becoming a Harley owner!

Old 03-11-2015, 09:07 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by razor02
....... I'm 6'2 so I like the feel of the forwards better, .....
..... yeah, .....i bet
... you might outgrow a Sporty real quick

Old 03-11-2015, 09:13 PM
razors edge
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i always try to talk them down. what do you have to lose, heck walk out a time or two. will you regret an 883, probably not, they are just differnt in a good way, enjoy which every one you grab

Old 03-11-2015, 09:15 PM
razor02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by groupw
..... yeah, .....i bet
... you might outgrow a Sporty real quick
Do you mean in terms of engine size or just like size of the bike itself?
I've sat on the iron alot and even did a light test ride and I like the feel..(being that it has forwards). I was mainly concerned with engine size/power.
I don't plan on keeping the sporty forever, I'm more looking to just use it to get my feet wet with harleys and then trade up and get a dyna..
If money wasn't an issue I'd just go ahead and pull the trigger on a dyna...

Old 03-11-2015, 09:19 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm 6'3" and forwards on my Dyna would be better if they were extended forward controls. I rode with standard controls when I first bought my bike, and it felt like a clown car.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:22 PM
razor02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cowpokey
I'm 6'3" and forwards on my Dyna would be better if they were extended forward controls. I rode with standard controls when I first bought my bike, and it felt like a clown car.
That's the pretty much the feeling I got haha.. I'm set on getting forwards, whether I have to sacrifice color or not. I'd rather be slightly unhappy with the color rather than riding a bike that isn't comfortable for me.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:27 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah, it was very cramped. I've never even sat on a Sportster, they look size prohibitive to someone tall.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:40 PM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 530 Posts

you can install the forward controls yourself with not much effort...pretty straight up instructions

Old 03-11-2015, 09:45 PM
razor02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
you can install the forward controls yourself with not much effort...pretty straight up instructions
From looking at the part online I figured it shouldn't be too hard. The sales guy told me the part was $400 and that it would take about 4 hours of labor at $90 an hour... I just didn't see how it could take that long.. I figured I could do it my self and save that extra $400 or so dollars

Old 03-11-2015, 09:46 PM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts

Since you're already looking at used bikes, look a couple of years older. $7,998 will buy a lot of Dyna, and tall people tend to tire of sportsters quickly.

GM

Quick Reply: Future Harley rider needs some advice...