General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

having a hard time shifting with new boots

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 07:25 PM
nickoli
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default having a hard time shifting with new boots

I decided to get some new boots for better protection than the shoes I have been practicing with. I'm having a hard time getting the front of my foot under the shifter. Is there a way to adjust the shift lever or do my feet just need to adjust?

Old 03-21-2015, 07:30 PM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

You loosen the bolt that holds the shifter on the shaft, remove the shifter and reinstall it higher. I've never done it on a HD but it worked on dirt bikes and a Yamaha street bike I owned and figured it ought to be the same on HD, though I am far too lazy to get up and look right now

Old 03-21-2015, 07:32 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

The shaft is splined and held tight in yoke with socket cap head bolt. Loosen socket cap bolt and adjust to a spline wherE your boot will fit

Old 03-21-2015, 07:39 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I moved mine up when I first got my bike because it felt like it was crowding my foot but I moved it back to where it was. I still sometimes feel like I could move it up a little.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:42 PM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Justt get a hell shifter, Phil....oops, wrong thread

Old 03-22-2015, 08:15 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,186 Likes on 2,454 Posts

there's 2 ways to adjust it. the one way is to remove the lever and move it a spline. if you need a finer amount of adjustment, then you can adjust the length of the rod between the front and rear levers. loosen the nut, take the head off the lever and spin it to lengthen or shorten. then put the head back on.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:45 AM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Loosen the bolt and move it up a few splines till you find your sweet spot then tighten it back down. Ever since I was a kid riding dirt bikes, I have always set the shift lever to ride just above my boot with a little gap when my foot is resting on the peg. I use the same boots all the time so it's always the same. I use mid controls and this is the best setup for me.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:59 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

That's what the heel shifter is for.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:08 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Set up: Taylor your bike to fit!

Originally Posted by skratch
there's 2 ways to adjust it. the one way is to remove the lever and move it a spline. if you need a finer amount of adjustment, then you can adjust the length of the rod between the front and rear levers. loosen the nut, take the head off the lever and spin it to lengthen or shorten. then put the head back on.
Correct! Every bike you own should be set up to fit you. The clutch and brake levers and suspension should be adjusted for you as well. Shift lever and brake levers are always the first thing I adjust when I get a bike home. Other bikes I owned had a rear brake pedal to adjust as well. (hand levers rotate up and down for different height riders).

Heel shifter: I always thought the heel shifter was to protect my "Street shoes" from scuffing. I have removed my heel shifter, and enjoy the extra room on my foot board.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:45 PM
razor02
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a trick to loosening the bolt? I've tried and tried and I can't seem to get the bolt to move at all...

Quick Reply: having a hard time shifting with new boots