General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 03:40 PM
londonman
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal?

Hi Guys,

I am not sure if this is the right section for this thread, mods can move it if they wish.

Anyway, I am completely new to Harleys. I would not even consider myself an experienced biker. I am just way too busy. However, I do love and enjoy bikes. I never ever considered treating myself to a Harley because I always thought they cost a fortune, although they can do, there are many that are affordable to average Joes' like me - I realised recently.

Anyway, I have been wanting to buy a nice bike for several years, and have always postponed it because we needed the money for this or that (married you see ). Anyway, I was going to get a Moto Guzzi V7, and I saw a Harley on the street, and I thought I should check out what they cost. And I was very pleasantly surprised, as it cost exactly the same as the Guzzi.

I initially saw the Sportster 883 Iron, and I loved the look. It suited me. And the price was within my reach as well. However, I went to the showroom, and I saw the 48, and I found the 48 was more comfortable, because I am 5,7" tall, so I could put my feet down flat, which is important to me. The only thing that I didn't like about the 48 was the colour. It was shiny black, and I preferred the matt black of the Iron. However, I realised that this was going to be a long term investment for me, I need something to do, and I am going to want to learn and customise it over the years.

I researched the pro's and con's of the 48, the small tank etc. They are not an issue for me. I will on average ride about 6 miles back and forth everyday. And I live in Central London, so for those that are not familiar, its not far from Manhanttan NY, 8 million people, small roads, traffic, you get the picture . This bike is mainly for pleasure. I could also add a bigger tank later on.

Now, to the main point of this thread. The 48's retail price in the UK is £9,270 ($13,700 USD) - everything is expensive in the UK. Anyway, I managed to negotiate one seller down to £8,300, which almost £1,000 off. So what I want to know is this a good deal?

I would also welcome your opinion on my purchase. Just a bit of background info on me. I am 39, not an experienced biker, don't belong to any clubs, and i don't have any friends that ride, I am not buying this for badge or fashion, I don't have anyone to show off to as I don't know many people in London, I am also 5'7, slim build. My biggest issue with bikes has been my height. I know much shorter people than me ride much bigger bikes. However, I feel more confident when and ride more confidently when I can put both feet down - it might be mental thing. I have owned Ninja in the past (croch rocket I think you guys call them, and it was fun, but not comfortable, and I have also owned scooters as well).

Anyway, sorry about the long post.

Welcome feedback.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by londonman
Hi Guys,

I am not sure if this is the right section for this thread, mods can move it if they wish.

Anyway, I am completely new to Harleys. I would not even consider myself an experienced biker. I am just way too busy. However, I do love and enjoy bikes. I never ever considered treating myself to a Harley because I always thought they cost a fortune, although they can do, there are many that are affordable to average Joes' like me - I realised recently.

Anyway, I have been wanting to buy a nice bike for several years, and have always postponed it because we needed the money for this or that (married you see ). Anyway, I was going to get a Moto Guzzi V7, and I saw a Harley on the street, and I thought I should check out what they cost. And I was very pleasantly surprised, as it cost exactly the same as the Guzzi.

I initially saw the Sportster 883 Iron, and I loved the look. It suited me. And the price was within my reach as well. However, I went to the showroom, and I saw the 48, and I found the 48 was more comfortable, because I am 5,7" tall, so I could put my feet down flat, which is important to me. The only thing that I didn't like about the 48 was the colour. It was shiny black, and I preferred the matt black of the Iron. However, I realised that this was going to be a long term investment for me, I need something to do, and I am going to want to learn and customise it over the years.

I researched the pro's and con's of the 48, the small tank etc. They are not an issue for me. I will on average ride about 6 miles back and forth everyday. And I live in Central London, so for those that are not familiar, its not far from Manhanttan NY, 8 million people, small roads, traffic, you get the picture . This bike is mainly for pleasure. I could also add a bigger tank later on.

Now, to the main point of this thread. The 48's retail price in the UK is £9,270 ($13,700 USD) - everything is expensive in the UK. Anyway, I managed to negotiate one seller down to £8,300, which almost £1,000 off. So what I want to know is this a good deal?

I would also welcome your opinion on my purchase. Just a bit of background info on me. I am 39, not an experienced biker, don't belong to any clubs, and i don't have any friends that ride, I am not buying this for badge or fashion, I don't have anyone to show off to as I don't know many people in London, I am also 5'7, slim build. My biggest issue with bikes has been my height. I know much shorter people than me ride much bigger bikes. However, I feel more confident when and ride more confidently when I can put both feet down - it might be mental thing. I have owned Ninja in the past (croch rocket I think you guys call them, and it was fun, but not comfortable, and I have also owned scooters as well).

Anyway, sorry about the long post.

Welcome feedback.
You can lower just about any Harley simply enough so if you like one over the other don't let hight get in the way...just change the shocks

Old 03-24-2015, 06:26 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,058 Likes on 11,069 Posts

A good deal is in the eye of the beholder. Motorcycles are emotional and sometimes emotions get expensive.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:42 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,473 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Well; I can't tell if the price is good or not by UK standards; you can get one here used for around 7-8 K dollars. The 48 is a great looking bike, and the Sportster platform seems to be more reliable than the Twin Cam.

The matte (Denim) finsh, IMHO, is WAY played out, at least here, and is difficult to keep looking good. You're much better off with the gloss. Good luck, and be careful riding on the wrong side of the road!

Old 03-24-2015, 06:59 PM
londonman
4th Gear

Thanks guys. I asked about lowering the Iron, and they said they could. It would cost me a bit. However, although the 48 is £2,000 more, when I like the fact that its got a more powerful engine, something for me to grow into. Also I think, I may be wrong, but 48 is slighter nicer to custom then the Iron. Don't get me wrong, Iron used to be my favourite, but when I see pictures of 48 customised, it just looks so awesome.

For me it's a long term bike, for the next 5 years, that I could tinker with and make my own. A little project so to speak, where I know the bike inside out. I will test ride both and see.

I have considered other bikes, in the Harley range. I feel a bike has to suit a you a bit, like a dog, and Iron and 48 suit me, than some of the bigger bikes. I also prefer their looks. Maybe its just me. I suppose beauty, as they as is to the eye of the beholder...

Thanks guys.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:24 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds to me like you've made up your mind. Get the 48. Considering all of GB is smaller than most US States, the peanut tank shouldn't be an issue. I'm sure there's at least one petrol station between London and the Northern Coast!

Old 03-24-2015, 07:28 PM
londonman
4th Gear

There is petrol stations everywhere. Its a very populated country. Its not the best country for bikes because of the weather. In my opinion California has the best weather for bikes. Considering the weather here, there are plenty of riders.

Anyway, this may sound like a stupid question, but could the 48 be lowered further if someone wanted to? I can put my feet completely flat on the 48 very comfortably, but I am just curious.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:57 PM
Reddog01
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fit is everything! Get the bike that fits YOU. That's why Harley (as well as other bike builders) make various frames, heights, etc. If it is not comfortable to you you won't enjoy riding it. Be sure to test out as many as you can that are within your price range.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:47 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,116 Likes on 2,674 Posts

At 5'7" you're fine on several models. Harley's have low seat heights so get what feels good to you.

I'm 5'6" with my shoes on.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:19 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,058 Likes on 11,069 Posts

Originally Posted by londonman
There is petrol stations everywhere. Its a very populated country. Its not the best country for bikes because of the weather. In my opinion California has the best weather for bikes. Considering the weather here, there are plenty of riders.

Anyway, this may sound like a stupid question, but could the 48 be lowered further if someone wanted to? I can put my feet completely flat on the 48 very comfortably, but I am just curious.
Lowering loses cornering clearance. Things like mufflers and pegs will drag.
Does your MOT allow these mods?
Spring or Fall are the best seasons for Ca weather.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal?