General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked out today

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 12:17 PM
SoftailC
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad your ok and hope you get your bike fixed quickly.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:00 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Sounds like the cage violated the OP's right of way by pulling out in front of him. OP attempted to avoid collision by applying brakes and went down. OP then impacted the side of the cage. Cage is the cause of the collision.
If OP had time to watch the guy come across 5 lanes of traffic, then he had more than enough time to react and not have to lay his bike down. OP's failure to comprehend and react to exactly what was happening around him is what caused him to crash... IMO.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:54 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

sorry it happened.. glad your ok.. the motor can be fixed or replaced... not gonna judge since I wasn't there...

mav

Old 03-26-2015, 03:34 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
If OP had time to watch the guy come across 5 lanes of traffic, then he had more than enough time to react and not have to lay his bike down. OP's failure to comprehend and react to exactly what was happening around him is what caused him to crash... IMO.
Thanks, that's what I was saying. Some people automatically blame cars "Cagers, as they put it" for everything. it's Always their fault, no matter what the circumstance. It's always the "Cagers" fault.

If they ran their bike out of gas on the highway...........they would find a way to blame a "Cager". Using some excuse such as "Damn cars too many of them on the highway today and one got into an accident and that backed up traffic for miles and that's why I ran out. I've taken this trip a thousand times and I had enough fuel to get to my destination. If it hadn't been for the "Cagers" getting into accidents and backing up the freeway, I wouldn't have run out"

Everything is always a "Cagers" fault. I'm pretty sick of hearing it. People need to grow up and learn to take responsibility for their own actions. As far as I'm concerned, motorcycles are beyond accidents. We brake better, maneuver better, accelerate faster and are 1/4 the size. If we are trained properly in how to utilize these advantage points, we are virtually impossible to hit. As far as I'm concerned, if a motorcycle crashes it is always the operators fault.

Nice Avatar by the way

Last edited by Thumper09; 03-26-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:01 PM
doug62
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
License plates often lead to dead ends in hit and runs. Drivers who flee do so because:
1. They are unlicensed
2. uninsured
3. suspended or revoked
4. no registration
5. drunk or otherwise impaired
6. illegal or undocumented
7. wanted

which all means the car is not registered to the driver..
which means the owner of the car sold it a year ago and they don't know who bought it..
let's see, this happened in San Antonio TX., I'll take option 6 for $100 Alex...

Old 03-26-2015, 05:33 PM
davidc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know allot do it for various reasons, but I would never commute to work on my bike... It's some of the worst conditions to ride in, even on trips we plan to ride through commuter routes during off hours...

It's hard to argue against that if you skid your back tire panic braking your not doing it right. that's just MSF 101... You have to ride with a pessimist attitude, assume the worst and plan a escape route...

Old 03-26-2015, 06:39 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
about 10 years ago I was in freeway traffic and a lady spilt her coffee on her lap and slammed on her brakes, I hit her from behind... Her fault or mine?

It was hers and her insurance paid.

OS

wow , I disagree, if you hit someone from the rear it is your fault period.
I think its called "following to close"
you never "assume that the vehicle ahead will go along smoothly .
anything can cause it to come to a abrupt stop.

I know , we have 20-30 car pileups on the freeway , but it is still
following too close ...stupid drivers crash every day...rant over

Old 03-26-2015, 06:46 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by heybaylor
wow , I disagree, if you hit someone from the rear it is your fault period.
I think its called "following to close"
you never "assume that the vehicle ahead will go along smoothly .
anything can cause it to come to a abrupt stop.

I know , we have 20-30 car pileups on the freeway , but it is still
following too close ...stupid drivers crash every day...rant over

Yep.
Supposed to have your vehicle under control at all times.
Have to be ready for that panic stop in front of you.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:29 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper09
Thanks, that's what I was saying. Some people automatically blame cars "Cagers, as they put it" for everything. it's Always their fault, no matter what the circumstance. It's always the "Cagers" fault.

If they ran their bike out of gas on the highway...........they would find a way to blame a "Cager". Using some excuse such as "Damn cars too many of them on the highway today and one got into an accident and that backed up traffic for miles and that's why I ran out. I've taken this trip a thousand times and I had enough fuel to get to my destination. If it hadn't been for the "Cagers" getting into accidents and backing up the freeway, I wouldn't have run out"

Everything is always a "Cagers" fault. I'm pretty sick of hearing it. People need to grow up and learn to take responsibility for their own actions. As far as I'm concerned, motorcycles are beyond accidents. We brake better, maneuver better, accelerate faster and are 1/4 the size. If we are trained properly in how to utilize these advantage points, we are virtually impossible to hit. As far as I'm concerned, if a motorcycle crashes it is always the operators fault.

Nice Avatar by the way

Old 03-27-2015, 01:25 AM
vaxt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm tired of seeing all the misinformation on this forum! Everyone knows that a locked rear tire if unlocked while not inline with the front tire = highside. Locking the front tire while trying to panic brake = lowside. (aka "layin' 'er down)

Let's please stop putting this misinformation out there! Everyone needs to know how to properly explain their excuse of how they "had to lay 'er down" when they really just made a braking error and crashed their bike!

p.s. or maybe someone may need to know how to lay 'er down in that 1 in 1,000,000,000 circumstance where they, in that 1.2 seconds that they have to make a decision, decide that surfing the bike and then launching into the air to leap over the car that they are about to hit will most definitely save their life.

Quick Reply: Wrecked out today