General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Deluxe Andrews 48h cam upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Newman277
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Deluxe Andrews 48h cam upgrade?

How's everyone doin?! This is my first official post on this Forum. I have been following some threads on here and find them the most informative and helpful for any and all questions or concerns that I have regarding my bike.!... It is that time of year here in eastern Canada when the snow starts to melt and the itch to ride becomes more prevalent. I have an 07 Deluxe with the 96" and it has an RSD turbine air breather with the Samson 36" Cholo tru dual fishtail exhaust system with a Power Commander 3 for a tuner. Over the winter I bought a set of Andrews 48h cams, a set of S&S quickie adjustable pushrods and the S&S cam upgrade installation kit (Torrington inner cam bearings) as well as all the tools to do the cam upgrade myself. I have done a fair bit of research and it shows that this cam choice is a great Bagger cam in the stock stage 1 96". I was wondering if anybody else has used this cam in a deluxe or softail as these bikes are not considered BAGGERS as such?? If so we're you pleased with the results of the upgrade?? Also, what is a good map to use for this combo?? This is my first time doing an upgrade like this as my older bikes were the good ol single cam carbureted version! Any comments would greatly be appreciated!! Thanks!!

Old 03-27-2015, 01:37 PM
tjhog
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm about to put the same cam in my '07 Street Glide. I don't know about using the 48 in softails ... but several folks on these boards have had great success with it in Dynas ... so ... should work great in your Deluxe as well ... after all it IS still (basically) the same motor. Good luck with it ... should work out great - I can't wait to do mine.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:48 PM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the 48H in my 07 Fatboy. Did the install myself. Was going to re-use stock pushrods, so took rocker boxes apart, put in new breathers, o-rings etc. Put it back together, but had cam off by 1 tooth. Ran like crap. Not wanting to take rocker box apart again, cut out the solid rods and went with SE tapered adjustables. Also replaced lifters and inner cam bearings. I have a Power Commander V that I bought from Fuel Moto. They mapped it for my new cam and other items. It ran very well. Being a perfectionist, I had it dyno tuned by Dr. Dyno at Bike Week in Daytona. This bike now runs like a scalded dog! It may be a bagger cam, but it will wake up your softail like you won't believe. (as long as proper map is installed) It is all I need for now-86 hp and 100 TQ. I say go for it!

Old 03-27-2015, 02:26 PM
Newman277
Stage IV

I'm excited to get to work on the cam upgrade as well tjhog! ...... Sounds like you are quite pleased with the results Clayvis.! Awesome dyno numbers .. 100tq must sit u back in the seat!! I wonder what map they used for the PC5 and would that map be compatible with the PC3?? ?... I also changed my rear sprocket to a 68 tooth so if I can get close to your dyno numbers it should pull pretty damn good!

Old 03-27-2015, 07:07 PM
tjhog
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Dyno Jet will send you a map for your PC5. You have to contact them direct, but they are have great customer service. You can get the contact info off their weblite.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:44 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Don't forget new lifters.......

Old 03-28-2015, 09:03 AM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Newman277;13854770]I'm excited to get to work on the cam upgrade as well tjhog! ...... Sounds like you are quite pleased with the results Clayvis.! Awesome dyno numbers .. 100tq must sit u back in the seat!!

You Betcha! I also lost close to 20 lbs. due to dietary changes...between the cam and weight loss, oh yeah! I mostly always ride solo, cause the bike felt sluggish with a passenger on with stock cams. Not a problem now. Don't even feel the difference with wife (rarely) on back now. I was happy running the map from Fuel Moto, but like many motor heads on here, I wanted more! Dr. D said the map was very good, just not perfect. You are gonna love it! Let us know how it all turns out.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,515 Likes on 804 Posts

I put them in my dyna 30,000 miles ago and still like them a lot. I also installed 030 head gaskets for a slight compression bump, as well as improving the squish characteristics. (so I'm told) Using the 030 head gaskets also allowed me to re-use the stock pushrods. I thought the 48's greatly improved the driveability throughout the rev range. I couldn't be happier:

Old 03-28-2015, 02:07 PM
Rickey
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 48 in my Ultra and there was definitely a seat of the pants difference. I am very happy with my cam selection. It was an easy install.

Last edited by Rickey; 03-28-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:11 PM
Newman277
Stage IV

Seems to me that I think I may have made the perfect cam choice for my riding style and current stage one setup for my Deluxe. There are a lot of good numbers coming from the 48's in an otherwise stock 96". As for changing my lifters my bike is under 10k miles on it and I was going to reuse the factory HD lifters. I didn't really see a need for new ones with such low mileage on the originals. Most "bolt in" cam swaps usually reuse them on low mileage bikes. I will however be inspecting the hydraulic cam chain tensioners for wear. If they show the slightest bit of wear I will be swapping them out for new ones. When it comes to removing the cam plate I am torn between leaving the oil pump in the cam chest or removing with the cam plate...... Was wondering what everyone else did with regards to that?. The S&S cam change kit comes with an O ring to replace the old one when taking the oil pump out with the cam plate. If it doesn't have to be disturbed then wouldn't I just just take the oil pump bolts out and leave it in the cam chest?. Food for thought anyway....

Quick Reply: 07 Deluxe Andrews 48h cam upgrade?