General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paypal???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 10:16 AM
scrubzz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paypal???

So I am having to sell my 2012 Street Bob, low mileage (am in a bind and have no choice right now) I listed it on Craigslist for $10,000 and almost immediately get a text from someone who "wants it but is working offshore and can't come themselves but would send someone to pick it up and wants to pay with PayPal" - I texted back and said the money had to clear to where I had it in hand before the bike would leave my property and he agreed - nothing has been done yet - I have only paid money with PayPal, never received it so am leery of this - Scam or not????

Old 03-28-2015, 10:22 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Scam... Run Forest, run! Once the bike is in their possession they'll contact PayPal claiming they never received it and PayPal refunds the money from your account... Cash money or no deal!

Edit: There's actually a couple of different ways this scam works but the bottom line should be, cash money is king and everything else is BS!

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 03-28-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:23 AM
scrubzz
Advanced

am googleing he name he gave me and his number -looks like a scam, never mind

Old 03-28-2015, 10:25 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,786 Likes on 18,560 Posts

I can't believe that there are people out there who aren't aware of these kids of scams.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:31 AM
scrubzz
Advanced

Yeah - his name is Anderson Coel (the one he gave me anyway - Found 6 or 7 listings where he has attempted to buy cars, tractors, etc from Craigslist, all with this name but different phone numbers and all with the same MO - he can't come himself for various reasons but his "shipper" will come pick it up

Old 03-28-2015, 10:50 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Yeah, I don't know where the legitimate ends and the scam begins. I sold the BMW that I rode while I rebuilt the Harley to a guy in Brooklyn, Ny. His PayPal deposit showed up, and the balance was paid within the allocated 14 days. After it all cleared, his transporter showed up and took the bike.

During the transaction I contacted EBay and then PayPal and asked how or where I could get screwed on this deal and both Companies basically said that I was covered. I sent the title to the guys Brooklyn address separately (return receipt requested,) and everything worked out fine. I even took pics of the transport guy and his truck/license plate.

I think it must be harder than him just calling up PayPal and claiming that he never got the motorcycle in order for PayPal to request their money back from me. Anyway, its been past 45 days and according to PayPal that's the limit if he were to file a claim.

Someone needs to tell us where the line is between what I did and what the Op's buyer was proposing. They seem very similar, No?

Last edited by Stiggy; 03-28-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:23 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

One thing to consider with PayPal personal accounts is the $500 monthly withdrawal limit. It could you 20+ months to get all your $10,000 out. I do believe you can remove the limit with some further verifications though.

Second, when personal checks, money orders, money wires, PayPal, etc... are used for a payment, it is always wise to have the money in hand before you turn over the bike. The buyer may have to wait a couple of weeks for everything to clear but they should understand that when they are attempting pay with anything but cash. I sell plenty of stuff on Craigslist and I always specify cash only on cheaper items and cash or bank checks (no personal checks) on more expensive items. Checking ID's and giving or getting receipts is also smart.

I know you're in a bind and want to sell fast but don't make any transactions you're uncomfortable with.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Yeah, I don't know where the legitimate ends and the scam begins. I sold the BMW that I rode while I rebuilt the Harley to a guy in Brooklyn, Ny. His PayPal deposit showed up, and the balance was paid within the allocated 14 days. After it all cleared, his transporter showed up and took the bike.

During the transaction I contacted EBay and then PayPal and asked how or where I could get screwed on this deal and both Companies basically said that I was covered. I sent the title to the guys Brooklyn address separately (return receipt requested,) and everything worked out fine. I even took pics of the transport guy and his truck/license plate.

I think it must be harder that him just calling up PayPal and claiming that he never got the motorcycle in order for PayPal to request their money back from me. Anyway, its been past 45 days and according to PayPal that's the limit if he were to file a claim.

Someone needs to tell us where the line is between what I did and what the Op's buyer was proposing. They seem very similar, No?

THe line is that your buyer was in the States and just didn't want to travel to you to collect the bike himself. OP's "buyer" is a Nigerian scam-artist that is trying to make money. He doesn't care about the bike.

The way to differentiate is to offer to speak with the person on the phone. Every serious buyer will not hesitate to speak on the phone with you, whereas the scammers will hem and haw and come up with every excuse they can to not speak on the phone with you.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:41 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Scam, had the same thing happen this week on a $8,500. Trailer.
He was on Army Base, no cell phone allowed but could email.
They have change their game to PayPal
Last one sent me a certified check by Fed Ex. I played along with them. Cost them $35.00 for them to Fex Ex me the check.
Going to do some research today and find out how they are doing it with PayPal

Old 03-28-2015, 12:11 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,244 Posts

I've bought and sold things using paypal upto $2000 with no issues for years. I've sold 2 bikes on Ebay using paypal for a deposit and the balance in cashier check or cash upon pickup by buyer. Red flag usually is when the buyer isn't the one picking up or the seller isn't the one who owns the title.

Quick Reply: Paypal???