General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for other cold weather riders (battery)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:43 AM
stockglock1927
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for other cold weather riders (battery)

So I know we all have our own definition of cold weather and our own thresholds for how cold we will ride in. I have seen the other thread about this.

my question is, At what temperature do you feel it is necessary to pull the battery out of your bike to protect its charge/life?

even if I am planning on riding, I usually try pull the battery out of the bike if we get any lower than 30 at night for a few nights in a row. I will still ride at that temp so I just give myself some extra time in the morning to install that battery again. if I don't take the battery out at those temps there is a noticeable difference in the cranking power of the battery in the morning.

what do you other COLD WEATHER riders do?

leave it in? or pull it out?........LOL I just realized what that sounds like when you say it....LOL!! come on guys. Im talking about the battery.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:00 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

I never take the battery out. The bike sits in an unheated garage with a battery tender and without fail has started on the first crank. And the past couple of winters have been bitterly cold.
You probably wouldn't notice any loss of cranking power if it was on a tender.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:01 PM
garand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pull into the drive and plug it into the batter tender. No issues. I'm on the same battery for 7 years now...

Old 03-30-2015, 12:14 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

During riding season I use a tender when done riding and parked for the day. I pull the battery out for winter and put it in the basement on the tender. I Keep the cranking battery for my boat in the basement during the winter too, since there is no way to get power for the tender where I Store the boat off season, and I don't want it sitting thru our winters without a tender.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:16 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I am on the 4th year of my stock battery. Winter temps here get to sub 0 for many days in a row. My garage is not heated so it gets down right cold in there throughout the winter. I never pull my batteries. I just keep them on a battery tender. Never had a problem.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:19 PM
stockglock1927
Tourer

guess im paranoid.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:20 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If you notice a difference when cranking over your bike after its only been sitting for only 2 days in 30 deg temps your battery is probably going to need replaced soon

Old 03-30-2015, 12:22 PM
stockglock1927
Tourer

Originally Posted by ynots
If you notice a difference when cranking over your bike after its only been sitting for only 2 days in 30 deg temps your battery is probably going to need replaced soon

its brand new. and its not a big difference but I can hear a little difference after a good 3-4 days of 20-30 degree nights....no battery tender

Old 03-30-2015, 12:44 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

I never pull the batteries on the bikes, I use Battery Tender pigtails and whenever they come back into the garage they're on the Battery Tender, winter or summer. I've done this for years and have never had any battery related failures. I even put a pigtail on my truck and plug it in to a Battery Tender every night when it's back in the garage Invest in a simple Battery Tender Jr., wire up the pigtail and you're going to be good to go...

Old 03-30-2015, 01:36 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

During the cold weather season here, where my bike will be in my garage for several days, I just plug in my battery tender and leave it that way until it gets warm enough to ride, no need to pull the battery out.

Quick Reply: Question for other cold weather riders (battery)