General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First truly long road trip

Old 03-30-2015, 01:51 PM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First truly long road trip

Getting ready for my first truly long road trip - Phoenix to Salt Lake City in early May which comes out to about ~700 miles each way. My plan is to leave Saturday afternoon and spend the night in Page or Kanab and then do the rest of the trip Sunday. Spend the week in Salt Lake working and then the reverse the next weekend.

I live in Phoenix and work in SLC, but thought it would be a blast to ride the 17 to 89 and into Provo then SLC.

I have been back into motorcycles for about 1 year and my longest to date ride has been 400 in one day.

So how do I prepare for this trip? It will be fairly desolate out there in certain parts and I want to make sure I have covered all of my bases on what things I should bring and any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I am sure you all have a bunch of great info and that is what I am looking for.

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2015, 02:22 PM
Markallamerican
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cash, Credit Card, Cell phone, Water, Have fun!

Old 03-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Ezridr60
Tourer

Received 122 Likes on 47 Posts

In this order, keep the fuel full, stop to fill even if you don't need it. Water! Last ride thru Utah, wife and I stopped in Panguitch for the evening. Plans next day were to ride up 89 to I70, over to Green River and down to Moab for the night. Full tank out of Panguitch. Mistake #1, forgot to fill the water bottles. By the time we got to I 70 the temperature has risen to slightly over 100°F. As I remember there was fuel to the west, about 15 miles. I really didn't want to waste the time going out of my way for fuel, mistake #2. Green River, was just outside my fuel range. But I checked the map, there were about seven exits between where I was and Green River. Mistake #3. We proceeded eastbound on I 70, the first exit should have been a clue. "Ranch exit, no services". And the second and the third, ditto. By now we have passed the point of no return, I didn't know how far we were going to get, but I thought I'd be walking the last 5 to 10 miles, without water in 100+ temps. What saved our bacon was a 6 mile downgrade before we got to Green River. Turned the bike off and coasted the entire 6 miles. Fuel tank capacity on that old bagger was 5.2 gallons, I put in 5.19 gallons, I don't think I could've ridden around the fuel pumps once. Cell phone would also come in handy, but service was rather spotty. May be improved now as this was quite a few years ago

Last edited by Ezridr60; 03-30-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:35 PM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser

Got plenty of credit and cash and cell coverage seems to be pretty good most all of the way.

I have driven that route quite a few times in the car, but don't plan to pass any gas stations like Ezridr60 did :-) That is very good information and noted.

I was also wondering about what tools etc... to take - not that I will know how to fix anything, but would at least have some tools ;-)

Things like fix-a-flat? I know I should take a rain suit even if it is spring in the southwest and likely won't get too wet - probably should get one.

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2015, 02:46 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GPS if you're going to be out of cell signal area. Tire plugs and applicator and a can of Fix a Flat.

That's a good tip to fill up your tank every time you see a gas station whether you need to or not. I can't count how many times I've warned friends about this and they don't take my advice and run out of gas or scurry last minute to find a station and go out of their way to get some gas that they wouldn't have had to do if they'd gotten gas at that last stop. "oh no, I'll make it. I still have 1/2 tank left. My bike gets pretty good gas mileage".................Famous Last Words!

Last edited by Thumper09; 03-30-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:18 PM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Thumper09
GPS if you're going to be out of cell signal area. Tire plugs and applicator and a can of Fix a Flat.

That's a good tip to fill up your tank every time you see a gas station whether you need to or not. I can't count how many times I've warned friends about this and they don't take my advice and run out of gas or scurry last minute to find a station and go out of their way to get some gas that they wouldn't have had to do if they'd gotten gas at that last stop. "oh no, I'll make it. I still have 1/2 tank left. My bike gets pretty good gas mileage".................Famous Last Words!

Ok - so here is a really silly question I guess - do tire plugs and applicator work with tubed tires?

Old 03-30-2015, 03:25 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have a tire with an inner tube? I didn't even think they made those anymore.

No, it won't work.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:38 PM
Ezridr60
Tourer

Received 122 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper09
You have a tire with an inner tube? I didn't even think they made those anymore.

No, it won't work.
I believe all the HD laced wheels require a tube, got em on my '07 Ultra

Old 03-30-2015, 05:21 PM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ezridr60
I believe all the HD laced wheels require a tube, got em on my '07 Ultra

Yep - that is what I thought. So I guess if you get a flat with a tube tire you are kind of screwed? Or is there something that can be used so you can limp to the next town?

Old 03-30-2015, 05:49 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Well, if you want to go old-school you could bring some spoons, pull the tire off the rim and patch the tube...

Or just accept that if you do get a flat, you'll be stuck waiting for help.

Out West, the advice about fuel is spot on. Fill when you can, every time.

Make sure you have a few bottles of water on hand, but really, even a route as seemingly remote as PHX to SLC is going to have frequent traffic. In a worst case scenario (say you grenade the motor or something), help will come along.

Have a few hundred in cash, and at least two credit cards.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First truly long road trip