General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I dread the buying process.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:32 PM
Cjacks
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I dread the buying process.

Since I have gotten older (65) I have really come to dread the process one must go thru to buy a new car, truck, or motorcycle. I returned from bikeweek with the desire to get a new bike. I currently have a 2013 Road King and was thinking about doing some mods like lowering it and converting from solo to two up setup. Then I heard about the new Ultra Low bikes. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on the Road King then trade it in next year. After much thought I decided to engage two dealers that I have worked with in the past. Today I decided to start the price negotiating process. After figuring out what I wanted or expected to pay and the value of my trade, I ask them what they could do. Keep in mind they aren't aware of my expectations yet. We are miles apart and I am in for the biggest bunch of bs since my last colonoscopy. Dealer #1 wants $85 a month more than I was expecting. Dealer #2 said he wasn't sure he wanted my 2-1/2 year old RK with 5000 miles in on trade, he said he might give me $13000 trade, but when he told me he wanted $435 for freight and $650 for set up I lost interest. We didn't even get to what he wanted for the new bike. Here we go, I just hate this process. I barely have myself convinced I want this new bike, let alone convincing them that I will only pay a certain reasonable amount. I have the deal I want down on paper and will probably call them tomorrow and start the fight. They do this every day, and I would rather take 3 lashes than go thru this process. Maybe it is just old age setting in, oh well I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:41 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

You're looking at it the wrong way. I don't consider it a fight. I consider it a game. I enjoy it and I go in with the intention of winning.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:53 PM
Ran When Parked
Novice

Originally Posted by dribble
You're looking at it the wrong way. I don't consider it a fight. I consider it a game. I enjoy it and I go in with the intention of winning.
Right on. They do it everyday but I've done it enough to know what they will come at me with before they do it. They're not clever.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:15 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Somebody needs to start BikeMax.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:18 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Several things you said make me want to tell you to reconsider your decision. You own a 2013 Roadking with only 5,000 miles, first red flag. Talking about monthly payments second red flag. The Road King is a great bike and will do anything you need it to do. If you want to lower it, not a problem. If you want a fairing, not a problem. Save all that money you will lose if you trade. Get on that Road King and ride !

Old 03-31-2015, 08:19 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

Funny, but when I first saw your post, the very first word in the paragraph I noticed was "colonoscopy" & knew instantly it was about some dealer bullshit charges.

That's why Dickey don't buy nothing new--buy lo mile mint condition used. THAT'S the way to go.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:30 PM
formula223
Intermediate

I know many people don't like this idea but have you considered a slightly used bike? There truly are people out there who have bought an Ultra or Limited and suddenly realized after only a few miles the bike just isn't for them. They get excited every time they see one go past, run out and buy one, then find out its not a Dyna. So they go back to the dealer and find they can only get 2/3's or less of what they paid for it just a couple of months ago.

Finding a bike with less than 3K miles on it for six or seven grand less than new is not as rare as one may think.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:40 PM
Cjacks
Advanced

dribble, thanks for the advice. I like your point of view.

C908, First red flag, do you know how much it would cost to turn a red RK into a
Amber/charcoal Ultra. Second red flag, i could pay cash but prefer to
make payments on my toys. Third red flag, I buy Harley's because they
are supposed to hold their value. My problem is not affordability, it's
dealing w/ the bs sales crap. They don't call em stealerships for nothing.

Formula 223, Yes I am considering what you are suggesting. But since I am
Looking to trade I am back talking to people who can't be trusted
trying to buy a used machine that has been thru Gosh knows
what. And it doesn't help to know they probably stole it from
somebody.

Like I said, I want a new bike I just dread the process. Since I am practicing for tomorrow, notice I didn't say I needed a new bike. And C908 don't take my comments personally. I appreciate you trying to give somebody good advice, but it's not about the money. Like dribble said, it's all about winning. OMG, I am starting to sound like Charlie Sheen, thanks a lot dribble!

Last edited by Cjacks; 03-31-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:06 AM
rbert0005
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually figure out what number is fair ,to both parties, and give them an offer.

Then I ask if they can do better. If it doesn't work for me I walk.

Someone usually calls back. Oh yeah, wait till the last day of the month. Quotas, you know.

Bob

Old 04-01-2015, 07:19 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Why do people make buying a new car, truck, motorcycle, etc. harder than it has to be?

The last 2 motorcycles I bought went like this:

ME: What is the lowest out the door price on this motorcycle?
DEALER: ______

If I didn't like it, I thanked them for their time and went out the door because I didn't want it bad enough.

Quick Reply: I dread the buying process.